Skip to content

It is our responsibility to issue licenses to garages and other premises that store petrol. The licence stipulates the conditions that need to be met to ensure that the product is stored safely at all times.

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use you will need a licence.

Apply online

Transfer a licence to another person 

Take over an existing licence from the current licensee

Apply for a new licence

Renew an existing licence

What does the law require?

You must have a petroleum licence if you store petroleum spirit in underground tanks in a retail petrol filling station. You do not need a licence if you only store diesel fuel.

What do I need to consider?

Before granting a licence we will need to check that your installation complies with our licence conditions and any health and safety guidance which applies to the storage of petrol underground.

How will you deal with my application?

If your application is deemed non-contentious, we should be able to grant your licence
without referring the decision to the Licensing Committee. 'Non-contentious' means any application which has not resulted in any objections, or representations of a serious nature, and where is no conflict with council policy. Contentious applications will be determined by the Licensing Board.

We will attach conditions to any licence we grant or renew and we may take action to ensure that you comply with those conditions.

When will a decision be made?

We aim to make a decision on your application within 90 calendar days. This assumes that your application is not contentious. Your application will take longer to process if it becomes
contentious (for example, if we receive objections or representations) and if that is the case we will keep you informed of the revised timescale.

We will not be able to grant a licence until we have carried out an on-site inspection of the installation and the supporting documentation produced by the contractors who carried out the installation work.

What happens if you don't make a decision within the target time?

'Tacit authorisation' does not apply because there is an overriding reason relating to the public interest, namely the need to ensure public safety. Therefore if you have still not received a decision after the target time has expired, your authorisation is not granted automatically. In such a situation, we will get in touch with you to let you know what happens next.

Please note that you must not carry on the activity for which you have applied for a licence unless or until you have been granted a licence.

What can I do if I'm not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the way we have processed your application please contact us.

How does the Council handle objections and representations?

Find out more about objections and representations