Balloch Village Plans is a place making project which aims to revitalize the village of Balloch. Through improving its public realm and civic spaces it will create a strong sense of arrival for visitors and improve connections for pedestrians and cyclists between the public transport arrival points, the village centre, Loch Lomond Shores, Balloch Park and the planned future visitor attraction on the West Riverside site.
The project covers the length of Balloch Road from Pier Road to Ben Lomond Way focusing on 3 principal areas:
- Village Square- Public square at Moss O’Balloch (Phase1)
- Station Square - Public square at Balloch Train Station (Phase2)
- Balloch Road West (Phase1)
The project originated from the successful ‘Live in Balloch’ charrette undertaken in 2016 and is fundamental in creating a new positive identity for Balloch and a better environment for local residents, businesses and visitors alike. The following partners have been involved throughout the process: West Dunbartonshire Council, Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park, Abellio Scotrail, Scottish Enterprise and Sustrans.
Between September 2017 and June 2017 Sustrans led on a consultation process with the aim to develop ideas an outline design in cooperation with the partners and the local community. A summary of the consultation process can be viewed here: https://balloch.commonplace.is/ and the resulting outline design presented to the community can be viewed here: https://ballochproposals.commonplace.is/
In July 2017 West Dunbartonshire Council took over the lead on the project Works on developing designs for phased delivery of the project are currently ongoing and detailed layouts have already been produced for the Village Square and Balloch Road West areas of the project (Phase 1).
The project’s scope for Village Square and Balloch Road West includes the following main measures as part of an overall public realm improvement scheme:
- Improved civic space in the centre of the village including raised tables and traffic calming measures to create a sense of place with the potential to encourage further activity like seasonal markets and performances;
- Existing public square will be incorporated into the new design;
- Design gives priority to pedestrians and cyclists while allowing sufficient carriageway capacity to maintain steady flow of traffic;
- Wider sections of paving in key locations will enhance the space and provide opportunities for ‘café culture and additional seating areas;
- Narrower carriage way will discourage illegal parking;
- Formal car parking including disability spaces have been incorporated into the design; and
- Improvements will also include lighting, street furniture and signage.
Balloch Road West
- Realignment/narrowing of the main carriageway (Balloch Road) between Pier Road and Ben Lomond Way will reduce the speed of traffic;
- Raised table crossings will be incorporated into the design in key locations at Drumkinnon Road, Clairnish Road and Craiglomond Gardens;
- Car parking on both sides of the road will be formalised by creation of marked parking bays; and
- Additional public realm enhancement will include signage to create a sense of place and arrival when approaching Balloch from the Lomond Way.
Station Square design will be linked to the future Riverside West development and will be developed by WDC in cooperation with the project partners with a public exhibition planned for 2018.