Published 28 June 2017
A group of West Dunbartonshire residents are set to join the Queen at the Royal Garden Party.
This year’s attendees include nominees and winners of the Provost’s Civic Awards, community volunteers and Council employees, who have all contributed to the local area.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh entertain around 8,000 guests from across Scotland every year in the spectacular grounds of The Palace of Holyrood House, which stands at the end of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile.
Guests will enjoy tea in the gardens accompanied by music from regimental bands and The Royal Scottish Pipers Society.
Each year West Dunbartonshire’s Provost and Chief Executive are asked to nominate people from the community who deserve an invitation to the prestigious event.
Provost William Hendrie said: “The group invited to this year’s garden party have contributed a great deal to their communities and to West Dunbartonshire as a whole. This is just a small token of our appreciation for all that they do to enhance out area and support our residents. It will be a special day for those who have been invited and I hope they enjoy every minute of it.”
Delighted attendee Jennifer McGregor from Dalmuir, who was a Provost’s Civic Award winner in 2016 and crowned Citizen of the Year 2016 for successfully establishing a clothing line specifically for people with a disability or condition that requires clothing to be adapted.
She said: “I am absolutely thrilled to be invited to this prestigious event. This really is a once in a lifetime chance to see members of the Royal family. I am also very keen to see all the outfits and hats on the day. I’m sure I’ll have a great day and it will be a memorable occasion that I’ll cherish and proudly talk about for years to come.”
The list of guests for this year’s Royal Garden Party 2017 who are travelling on the coach to the Palace of Holyroodhouse will be:-
- Mr David Lucas, Dalreoch Bench Walking Group, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Ms Margaret Kirkpatrick, Dalreoch Bench Walking Group, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Mr Johnston Bulloch, Dalreoch Bench Walking Group, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Mrs Lesley McDermid, Dalreoch Bench Walking Group, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Miss Islelagh Shaw, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 winner
- Mrs Elaine Shaw, partner of Islelagh Shaw
- Miss Jennifer McGregor, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 winner and Citizen of the Year 2016
- Mr Stuart McAllister, accompanying Miss Jennifer McGregor
- Miss Caitlyn Bannatyne, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Mrs Jeanette Brown, accompanying Miss Caitlyn Bannatyne
- Miss Rachelle Rhienne, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Mrs Lynne Skelding, accompanying Miss Rachelle Rhienne
- Mr David Lennie, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 nominee
- Mrs Anne Lennie, accompanying Mr David Lennie
- Mr John Polding, West Dunbartonshire Community Foodshare, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 winner
- Mrs Julie Melvin, West Dunbartonshire Community Foodshare, Provost’s Civic Awards 2016 winner
Also travelling on our coach will be members of the West Dunbartonshire Women’s History Group.