The Equality Outcomes and Mainstreaming Report offers the Council an opportunity to present a detailed overview of its work on equality, focusing on reducing significant inequalities, compliance and accountability. The Outcomes and Report are based on consultation and involvement, and relevant local and national evidence and research.
The report also contains information on employment equalities, gender pay gap and an equal pay statement.
The Council is committed to fulfilling the three key elements of the general equality duty as defined in the Equality Act 2010:
- Eliminating discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Fostering good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- gender reassignment,
- pregnancy and maternity
- race, this includes ethnicity, colour and national origin
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
- marriage/civil partnership (for which only the first duty is applies)
Everyone has 'protected characteristics', but it is the treatment individuals and groups receive, the level of autonomy they have, and the positive or negative outcomes for them, that are its focus. Therefore the Council will:
- Remove or minimise disadvantages experienced by people due to their protected characteristics
- Meet the needs of people from protected groups where these are different from the needs of other people
- Encourage people with protected characteristics to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
As well as being legal requirements, these steps contribute to fairer, more efficient and more effective services. Therefore the Council will:
- take effective action on equality
- make the right decisions, first time around
- develop better policies and practices, based on evidence
- be transparent, accessible and accountable
- deliver improved outcomes for all.
You can also view the previous Equality Outcomes and Mainstreaming Report for 2013-2017
Equality Progress Report 2015
This report shows our progress on our Equality Outcomes from 2013 to 2015, and on main-streaming equality: