Strathleven Place, Dumbarton, G82 1BD
Free Internet Access is available.
Local history materials, family
history resources and archives covering
the Dumbarton and Vale of Leven areas are a strong feature.
Exhibitions of local history, arts or museum
items regularly take place.
Various subscription and institutional library services existed
in Dumbarton before the Town Council adopted the Public Libraries
Act and formed Dumbarton Public Library in October 1881. Premises
were obtained at the old Abstainers Hall, 70 High Street. In 1892,
the library moved into premises in the new Denny Institute adjacent
to the Burgh Hall in Church Street.
Soon the need for larger accommodation was felt. Andrew Carnegie,
the Fife-born American millionaire and Scottish public library
benefactor extraordinaire, responded positively to a letter sent to
him by the Council in 1904 asking for financial assistance towards
a new dedicated library building. Land was acquired at Strathleven
Place in 1907, and building commenced in 1909 to plans by the local
architect, William Reid. The new library opened on 30th September,
1910. The introduction in 1951 of open access to the books was only
possible after considerable internal refurbishment, and later
increased demands placed on library services were catered for by a
large extension to the building, opened in 1969.
The local government reorganisation of 1975 brought Dumbarton
Library under the control of Dumbarton District Council, when it
became the main public library for the area. From 1996 Dumbarton
Library has been operated by West Dunbartonshire Council, and is
the largest library in the Dumbarton and Vale of Leven area.