When a flood warning is issued, you may decide to leave the area
by car. On leaving your house there are a few things you can do to
increase the safety of your home. You should only do these if you
have time and you can do them safely without risk to yourself:
- Take your assembled personal items such as house keys, mobile
phone, credit cards, medication, children's essentials, 'flood
pack', and duvets/blankets.
- Turn off electric and gas supplies.
- Unplug appliances.
- Lock all door and windows.
- Raise up electrical and susceptible items to avoid flood
If you remain at home during a flood there are a number of
actions you can take to ensure your safety and that of your family
and your property:
- If the situation escalates contact the emergency services.
- If you are being flooded from a sewer also call Scottish Water
on 0845 600 8855.
- Continue to place sandbags or earth filled pillowcases across
- Keep safe your house keys, mobile phone, credit cards,
medication, children's essentials and 'flood pack' (containing
batteries, wind up or battery radio, torch, first aid kit, sanitary
supplies, bottled water, insurance policy).
- Raise all electrical items and valuables to ensure they remain
above the water line.