As a private sector landlord what are my rights and responsibilities?
Being a private landlord brings with it rights and responsibilities. These include;
- Registering the property you are letting.
- Providing a tenancy agreement between yourself and your tenant.
- Ensuring the property meets the repairing standard.
- Having a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence If you are planning to let your property out to more than three unrelated tenants.
- Informing us If you want to evict your tenant. This is called a section 11 notification.
- Ensuring you have a valid energy performance certificate
- A new legal requirement on landlords that you must place the deposit from your tenant in a tenancy deposit scheme and inform the tenant of which scheme it is in. This is being phased in for all current tenants but is in operation for all new tenants.
Further information for landlords can be found at
The Private Rented Housing Panel (PRHP) is an independent body that can help Scottish tenants and landlords resolve any differences they may have.