As a private sector tenant what are my rights and responsibilities?
If you are a tenant of a private rented sector property then you have rights and responsibilities. They will generally be included in your tenancy agreement, and include;
- paying your rent on time and in full
- not causing damage to the property, fitting or furnishings
- to report any repairs to the property, fittings and furnishings
- allow the landlord access to carry out inspections and repairs when sufficient notice has been given
- give proper notice to your landlord when you wish to leave
- to adhere to your tenancy agreement
The Private Rented Housing Panel (PRHP) is an independent body that can help Scottish tenants and landlords resolve any differences they may have.
Need help to understand your rights and responsibilities in the private rented sector? You can access Shelter Scotland’s new Private Renting in Scotland resource.