Christie Park lies on the site of Notman's Park, which was a small area of woodland and open field with a burn running through it. Notman's Park lay to the north west edge of the village of Alexandria, which, by the turn of the century was expanding northwards towards Balloch. The only significant feature of the site was a well at the base of the wooded embankment which is no longer in evidence.
In 1900, Notman's Park was bought by John Christie who laid it out as a public park for the inhabitants of the Vale of Leven. He laid out two circular lawns, planted trees and built a lodge for the use of the Park Superintendent. He also set aside a trust fund of £2,000.00 which he paid over to the Parish Council for use towards the maintenance of the park. The park was opened on the 5th July 1902 with a grand procession of 1,000 people and crowds of over 10,000.
In 1952, the park was restored in time for its Golden Jubilee. An event to celebrate the jubilee was held in the summer of 1952. The Lennox Herald notes that the park at this time was " in perfect trim."