Alexandria was the first Your Community initiative pilot area. The Initial engagement work was undertaken which highlighted key issues within the community.
5 key priorities were identified when planning for the future of Alexandria:
- Improve housing & safety
- Better physical environment
- Improvements to Town Centre
- More activities for young people
- Increase employment opportunities.
Since 2015, there have been a number of engagement methods and events within Alexandria. Below is a timeline of Communities Team activity within the area.
Time Line of Activity
- Feb – Alexandria Survey Results
- Feb- Community Open day Alexandria Community Centre
- May- Conversation Café at Alexandria Community Centre .
- Sep – Draft Alexandria Community Action Plan Here
- Oct – First initial meeting with interested residents in developing a Your Community Steering group.
- Dec – Community Budgeting event Alexandria Community Centre
- May – Community Budgeting event Vale of Leven Academy
- Aug – Dec Capacity building support Your Alexandria Steering group .
- Nov – Place standard event
- Jan – Nov - Capacity building support Your Alexandria Steering group
- May – First initial meeting regards to identified mural project.
- Aug - Sep - Group Governance training Your Community Steering Group. Committee skills training report
- Sept – Oct – Consultation meetings with the public to get their views on art work for the India Street Wall..
- Nov- Dec - correspondence to identified groups with the same interest to come together
- Jan - Identified groups came together as a collective
- March – ongoing – Formation of Alexandria Neighbourhood Action Group – Developing a Neighbourhood Plan for area. (Communities Team and forward Planning)
- April -Community Engagement event to celebrate the fantastic wall mural and to encourage residents to be further involved.
- April – Ongoing – Angling Association identified signage project and on going support to build capacity of group.
- July- Ongoing –Formation of a New Friends of Christi Park group and building their capacity.
- Aug – ongoing - Capacity building support to LGBTQ+ group.
- ongoing - Collaborative working Alexandria Master plan.
- Continuing conversations around the potential to improve the community.
- Development of residents / community group.
Your Bonhill & Dalmonach
The Communities Team has carried out Your Communities Initiative in Bonhill & Dalmonach. The Initial engagement work was undertaken which highlighted key issues within the community.
- Over the year general conversation took place with local residents
- Dec – Community Budgeting Bonhill Community Centre
- March- Your Community Walkabout with partners and community
- From the general conversations and walkabout referrals were then made onto the appropriate departments.
A number of residents had approached their local Elected Members and raised concerns in relation to the on-going anti social behaviour that was taking place with in the Dalmonach play park
- August - First initial engagement with resident’s : exploring options identified.
- Oct- Collaborative working with internal external departments to reduce Anti Social behaviour
- Nov- June 2019 - partnership working identifying improvements to park and repairs carried out. – Your Community Improvement Project Dalmonach Park Report
- Good working relationships developed with the community given further opportunity to coproduce in future.