Published 22 May 2020
West Dunbartonshire’s two recycling centres will reopen to the public from Monday 1 June, following updated guidance from the Scottish Government
The sites, Dalmoak Recycling Centre and Erskine Ferry Road Recycling Centre, have been closed since March 23 when a nationwide lockdown was announced.
Since then, Council officers have been planning for how facilities can operate safely for employees and members of the public.
The facilities will initially operate with slight changes to normal practices – including vehicles only be admitted through a strict registration plate system, based on odd and even numbers.
Cars with an odd number last on their registration plate will be permitted access on odd dates of the month, while cars with an even number last on their registration plate will be permitted access on even dates of month.
The sites will have slightly reduced hours, opening between the hours of 9am and 6pm on Monday to Saturday, and initially will only accept household waste, garden waste and cardboard.
Only private cars will be allowed to access the sites, with no admission for business vehicles, and there will be a limit on the number of cars admitted at the same time to allow everyone to adhere to physical distancing guidance.
In addition, a maximum of two adults will be allowed to unload each car.
It is expected that the demand to use both facilities will be high and long queues for entry should be anticipated.
Councillor Iain McLaren, Convener of Infrastructure, Regeneration and Economic Development, said: “We are grateful to residents who have done all they can to reduce demand on waste services throughout this crisis by taking steps to minimise waste or by storing waste at home.
“We understand that when these facilities reopen, many will want to dispose of this waste.
“For this reason, we would ask anyone who does plan to attend to prepare for the possibility of a large queue and some delay.
“We would also ask that only trips you consider to be essential are made to these facilities for the time being.
“I’d like to thank all residents in advance for their patience and kindness, which we hope will be shown towards the employees who will be working hard to keep any delays to an absolute minimum.”
Gail MacFarlane, Strategic Lead for Roads & Neighbourhoods, said: “Our employees will be doing their best to get visitors through efficiently, but as we are following government guidance on physical distancing in order to keep everyone safe, it will take significantly longer than usual.
“To try to speed this up, we are only admitting private cars at the moment, and ask that only household, garden and cardboard waste is disposed off. If you have been storing waste safely, you should consider whether you can continue to do so during this initial busy period.
“Please only travel to the site in line with the odd/even registration number system, and remember that the team at the site will be unable to assist you with unloading.”
The facilities will allow the last car to enter each evening at 5.45pm, and will close promptly at 6pm.
Residents are asked to consider the length of the queue if joining as closing time approaches as entry for cars queuing cannot be guaranteed.
Further details of traffic management plans will be shared ahead of the opening.