A £30m fund has been set up by the Transport Minister to support Local Authorities to deliver temporary infrastructure to maintain social distancing whilst walking and cycling.
The fund will be administered by Sustrans and cover 100% of the project costs. They should include the following essential journeys:
- Journeys to and from hospitals and health services
- Journeys to shops, pharmacies and schools for key workers
- Journeys for recommended exercise, for example neighbourhoods and
Projects should be able to be delivered quickly to reflect public safety requirements.
The proposals can include the following:
Potential physical interventions
- Selective road closures using planters or cones
- Reallocating road space for wider footways
- Reallocating road space for cycle tracks
- Reallocating parking and loading
- Reduced speed limits and/or traffic calming measures
- Cycle parking
- Removal of barriers to open up constrained spaces and remove pinch points
- Communications and public engagement
#SafeStreetsSaveLives is a campaign to support physical distancing during the coronavirus lockdown and encourage more walking and cycling through recovery.
Help us to create liveable streets for now and for the future.