Skip to content

You should:

  • Check water quality is drinkable. Contact Scottish Water on 0800 0778 778 if you are unsure.
  • Wait for confirmation that it is safe to turn on electricity and gas.
  • Get an electrician to check affected electrical products flood before using them.
  • Wash hands thoroughly after contact with flood water or silt.
  • Contact your insurance company, and make an inventory of all damaged goods, including food.
  • Dispose of contaminated food. Contact insurers before disposing of anything.
  • Take extra care when preparing food.
  • Ensure surfaces are clean and disinfected and free from contamination.
  • Keep food away from damaged areas that harbour germs.
  • Keep exposed food in a sealed container.
  • Make sure taps are clean before using them for the first time.
  • Always wash your hands before preparing food.
  • Do not try to salvage damaged food.
  • Food containers with screw tops or snap lids should be discarded as they cannot be safely disinfected
  • If there is a bottle-fed baby in the house make sure their water is boiled and do not use bottled water unless it is recommended by a doctor or health visitor. Some bottled water is unsuitable for babies.
  • If you swallow mud or contaminated water contact your doctor immediately.
  • Replace any manhole covers that may have become dislodged if you can do this safely without risk to yourself.
  • Keep children and pets away from floodwater. Ensure affected areas have been thoroughly cleaned and dried out before allowing children to play on them.
  • Check that paving has not become hazardous or dislodged.
  • Is your ground floor timber? Do you need to pump out water under the floor?
  • Is your home secure? Do not leave doors unlocked if you are leaving your home empty.
  • Beware of rogue traders trying to cash in on flood damage.
  • Ask tradesmen for identification. All gas, electricity, Scottish Water, and Council staff carry identification.
  • Clean and make safe any dangerous, contaminated and slippery surfaces.

Flooding can be a very traumatic event. If you need emotional or financial support there are a number of agencies you can contact:

  • The Samaritans will provide emotional support and can be called on 01738 626 666.
  • Contact your bank to try and arrange a holiday from mortgage payments if required.
  • The Association of British Insurers(Opens in a new window) provides help and advice on insurance matters.