When a flood warning is issued, you may decide to leave the area by car. On leaving your house there are a few things you can do to increase the safety of your home. You should only do these if you have time and you can do them safely without risk to yourself:
- Take your assembled personal items such as house keys, mobile phone, credit cards, medication, children's essentials, 'flood pack', and duvets/blankets.
- Turn off electric and gas supplies.
- Unplug appliances.
- Lock all door and windows.
- Raise up electrical and susceptible items to avoid flood waters.
If you remain at home during a flood there are a number of actions you can take to ensure your safety and that of your family and your property:
- If the situation escalates contact the emergency services.
- If you are being flooded from a sewer also call Scottish Water on 0800 0778 778.
- Continue to place sandbags or earth filled pillowcases across doorways
- Keep safe your house keys, mobile phone, credit cards, medication, children's essentials and 'flood pack' (containing batteries, wind up or battery radio, torch, first aid kit, sanitary supplies, bottled water, insurance policy).
- Raise all electrical items and valuables to ensure they remain above the water line.