WDTRO Liaison Meeting Minutes 2020

 

WDC/WDTRO Liaison Meeting No.65
Thursday 27th February 2020, 2pm at Dalmuir Community Centre,
Clydebank.

Present:

  • Frances McGonagle - Littleholm TRA ( chaired meeting )
  • Councillor Diane Docherty - Housing Convener
  • Polly Wheelans - Littleholm TRA
  • Georgia McCambley - Central Radnor Park TRA
  • Billy Neeson - Westbridgend TRA
  • June Todd - WDTRO
  • Douglas Clark - Littleholm TRA
  • David Lynch - Area Co-ordinator – Clydebank
  • John Kerr - Housing Development & Homelessness
    Manager
  • Edward Thomas - Housing Operations Manager
  • Alan Young - Housing Asset & Investment Manager
  • Jane Mack - Snr Housing Development Officer ( Tenant
    Participation )
  • Ryan Chalmers - Finance Section Head
  • Jim Fraser Repairs – Technical Officer
Thursday 27th February 2020, 2pm at Dalmuir Community Centre, Clydebank.
No. Item

1

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from Harry McCormack, Peter Barry, Scott McLelland, Suzanne Marshall and Martin Feeney

2

Updates on outstanding actions (Update sheet circulated)


Alternative supplier for landing windows getting costed and assessed if cost effective. Don’t have a firm timescale from Consultancy Services but will keep group up to date and hopes for a timescale within the next 4 weeks. Working group to improve communication – initial meeting set up but had to be cancelled due to number of tenants who couldn’t make proposed date - meeting to be rearranged.

Call handling performance report – outstanding but also being pursued through JRG as information provided to them not sufficient.

Edward Thomas confirmed new phone system gives good monitoring.

Action : Jane to email Stephen Daly on Diane’s behalf and ask for the data and for him to come to future meeting.

Meeting to be arranged with WDTRO members following their requests for alternatives to storage heaters in MSFS – to cover District Heating, long term
future of gas and impact on housing sector. Alan Young collecting information together and WDTRO will then be invited to a meeting.

By 2025 Scottish Government don’t want any new homes to rely on a fossil fuel heating systems.

Updated Fire Safety Report should go to May Housing & Communities Committee and will share report with WDTRO.

New Build Design Consultation group - invites to go out – John will send out a couple of dates and will avoid Thursdays to suit .

3

Update on ASB and caretaking service review (Edward Thomas)

Edward advised that progressing well. All ASB new staff in place – now up to 8 in team (from 6) 4 day time and 4 back shift – in training phase so will be fully operational late March. Staff keen to start and will provide cover 3pm – 2am – 7 days a week.

Caretaking – now appointed 3 seniors – will work closely with the area housing teams. Will continue to re-prioritise tasks and react to issues too. Committed to retaining dedicated caretakers for each multi-storey flats following the engagement meetings last summer as this was something tenants wanted kept.

Induction and training ongoing. Should ‘go live’ by end of March and back shift will be 1pm – 12 midnight, 7days a week.

Question asked about how tenants can contact the out of hours staff and was confirmed that can be contacted through the usual out of hours number.
Hopefully they will be a reassuring, visual presence for tenants and Edward confirmed in the evenings they will be in pairs and Scott has a working group on Health and Safety issues.

Will be manual checks for regular duties so no time to spend hours in office. Question asked about how TRA’s be kept up to date and updates will be given at Liaison meetings but Edward also agreed some specific communication for the Multi-Storey Flat tenants would be a good idea as they will see the biggest change.

Question asked about using the noticeboards for information but also pictures of the new staff. David will ask new staff but often staff not keen to have
pictures publically displayed. Staff will all wear I.D. badges so tenants will know who they are.

Problems with teenagers hanging around in blocks at Littleholm was raised as at the weekend had over 100 hanging about and they had flares. Edward will liaise with the police and CCTV and that is the sort of situation they would want the out of hour staff to concentrate on. ACTION: Edward

4

Review of Rent Collection Policy ( Ryan Chalmers)

Number of years since last reviewed and been internal changes plus introduction of Universal Credit that need to be incorporated into the Policy.
Ryan circulated copy of draft policy with proposed changes in red.

Corporate Debt are responsible for full rent collection. Since reorganisation of Housing Officers they have been doing early interventions with new tenants as they will already have had contact with tenant through allocation and sign-up. Appendix changes reflect the new working practices of the Housing Officers. Online survey being used to collect tenant views and been extended to 13 April as article being included in spring Housing News. Reviewed policy will go to May’s Housing & Communities Committee ( HACC).

Question asked about DWP delays as can create arrears and often backdates then can’t be applied and tenant gets left with arrears.

Ryan confirmed that do have regular liaison meetings with DWP and they don’t pursue tenant when they are waiting on Universal Credit. Focus is on getting a sustainable arrangement and do take other debts into account - look at bigger picture.

Relies on tenant being open about other debts and can liaise with Working4U colleagues. Focus is on communication and creating a relationship with tenants so that staff have the full picture and can provide support. ACTION: TRA members encouraged to complete survey

5

Scottish Social Housing Charter Performance update plus specific queries from WDTRO ( John Kerr)

Harry and Frances had met with Stefan to discuss the Charter performance action plan and specific questions been raised with officers ahead of the
meeting and their answers circulated on sheet.

Item 1 on sheet refers to 100% satisfaction with Repairs in quarter 3. Diane queried that we had reported on only 1 survey response and it was confirmed that the Repairs satisfaction level was based on 1 response and reason given was due to resource issues but which have now been addressed. Importance of providing credible information was raised and agreed. Was clarified that the annual satisfaction figure will include all quarters and that figure is what is publicised in the year end performance to the Housing Regulator.

Convener disappointed that Citizen Services haven’t provided the credible number of surveys and asked for an email to be sent to Citizen Services ( cc
Peter Barry) asking why number so low and what is being done to increase numbers in future quarter so response rate was credible. ACTION: Jane/Citizen Services


Item 3 on sheet relates to repair appointments. Tenant frustrations that communal and external repairs not getting appointments were made but examples were given of internal jobs being given appointments and were kept so improvements are happening. Example given of human error inputting wrong type of door to be replaced had resulted in unnecessary appointments and initial job still not done. Jim Fraser agreed to take the specific repair details and chase up.

Edward confirmed that caretakers are reporting communal repairs but they can also have issues getting through and need to do around other duties.

Douglas raised concern about reporting repairs particularly in relation to fire doors catching in landing floors and not closing but also other communal
repairs not getting done and very frustrating on lack of progress. Edward Thomas will liaise with repairs about outstanding repairs as want to make sure fire doors and lighting are kept in good order. ACTION: Edward/Repairs

Item 4 on sheet relates to drop in satisfaction in relet standard and WDTRO wanted to know why. David advised that more work getting done once new
tenant has moved in e.g. plasterwork to help reduce the void time. Diane gave examples of new tenant having no shower and no water but David clarified should only be improvement work or work that can be done later without affecting tenant living in property.

Frances gave example of new tenant waiting months to get void works done and was explained that target is 10 days but can be work that takes longer e.g. asbestos etc. focus for housing to re-let as soon as possible.

Item 6 - 6 actions without milestones? –Confirmed that Tenancy sustainment actions had been transferred to Suzanne and she had focused on rent
collection and much work been done. Many of the remaining Tenancy Sustainment actions needed the IHMS and it’s delay and personnel changes
meant the milestones still to be created but will be carried into new year.

 

6

Forward Plan Update ( info provided by John Kerr)

  • St Andrews – First handovers planned for May
  • Haldane, Creval Court and Aitkenbar - Progressing well and all on target.
  • Dumbarton Harbour – Piping, drainage and ground works all complete and road to finish next week, issues with contractor but progress will
    continue and won’t affect plans.
  • Queens Quay – Tail end of contractual process and should go onsite end of March.
  • Buy Backs – Going well and have secured additional £600,000 funding from Scottish Government.
  • Clydebank East and Pappert – Design stage and wanting tenants views.
  • Housing have declared an interest in current Clydebank Health centre site as it is moving to Queens Quay.
  • Demolition at Clydebank East progressing well and only 1 block remaining - will probably be completed by July. Design stage ongoing but site will be secured. Opportunities have arisen to help develop site so worth taking time.
  • Queens Quay and Pappert housing developments aim is to be carbon free so looking at Passivhaus model of building.
  • Will be carrying out a Better Homes assessment and will share with WDTRO. 
  • Gypsy/traveller site at Dennistoun Forge – Scottish Government providing additional funding £90,000 to improve standards, meeting next week with officers and will also meet with site tenants to set priorities.
  • Current Local Housing Strategy(LHS) runs out 2022 so will start the refresh of the LHS and will want tenant involvement in that process.
    Private housing not seen the improvements there’s been in social housing but challenge is to try to increase that – still valid to have tenants views as has an impact on look of areas.

Question asked if Clydebank East will just be developed by WDC? –John advised it might not - keeping open mind and might consider other tenures but
not seeking a Housing Association partner at this stage.

7

Tenant Participation Update ( Jane Mack)

Rent setting consultation – survey closed on 15/12/19 and report going to Council on 5/3. Thanks given to everyone who came to the public meeting at
the Clydebank Town Hall in October and those who completed the rent setting survey. The final total of responses was 845 which is a massive increase from last years’ 257 so people either getting more interested and see that they can influence the outcome or other change was that an individual mailing out to all tenants might have got people’s attention more that it being just included with the Housing News.

Preferred rent option from the survey is 1.9% option with 40.6% of votes. Council meeting next week will confirm decision and all tenants will then get a
letter formally advising them of the increase and what the increase will be for their rent.

Tenant Priority Budget – Public meeting took place on 6/2/20 and 7 new proposals got the go ahead- 1 at McColl avenue needs more discussion .
Budget still open for proposals so would encourage all TRAs to have a walkabout and see what improvements can be put forward.

New Tenant Association been set up at Willox Park sheltered housing complex - have had their first committee meeting and have a public meeting
arranged for 18/3 to agree their constitution and can then get a bank account set up. They a small Association just representing the 36 tenants there so
probably won’t be joining the WDTRO but been given Harry’s contact details.

Staff update. Only ended up with Alex for a couple of week before she started another job unfortunately but do have another preferred candidate and just waiting on references so hopefully she will be starting in about 4 weeks. In meantime Jane supporting the groups as much as possible.

8

AOCB

None raised

 

9

Date of meeting - 23 April 2020, 2pm in Council Offices, 16 Church Street, Dumbarton, G82 1QL

 

WDC/WDTRO Liaison Meeting No.
Thursday 25th June, 2020 via Zoom video conferencing

Present: Jane Mack, Hanne Thijs (minute taker), John Kerr ( chaired), Edward Thomas, Frances McGonagle, Harry McCormack, Joanne Sutherland, Jacqui Peacock, Martin Feeney and Alan Young

 

WDC/WDTRO Liaison Meeting No. Thursday 25th June, 2020 via Zoom video conferencing
No. Item
1

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from Councillor Diane Docherty,Douglas Clark, Maureen Dempsey, Polly Wheelans, Billy Neeson, Janette Donlin and Georgia McCambley

2

Introduction

JK welcomed everyone and thanked the members of the WDTRO who have been involved in engagement activities during the pandemic, he said that the council is appreciative of the hard work and patience and that it is important for tenants to remain involved as things change.

He noted that the council is now moving from the response phase to the recovery phase and feedback from tenants is an important part of that.

3

Repairs restart plan

MF first apologised for sending out the briefing note late yesterday, he noted that information from the Scottish Government is updating frequently which means that the repairs service are having to move their work patterns continually.

MF spoke through the repair restart briefing note, highlighting that the service has been working with reduced staffing levels with team of about 70/80 providing emergency repairs, other staff redeployed and about 130 not providing any service at the moment. Some changes including staggered starts are interim measures for 6 months, looking at making more flexible service for long-term.

External works restarted, concentrating on sites where scaffolding has been up long-term. Re-roofing recommenced, environmental works (safe paths etc restarted), end of this week 30-40% of pre-Covid levels, hoping to increase this within coming weeks so long as safe working can remain.

Current figures for outstanding repairs are:

Routine Repairs

  • outstanding repairs excluding emergency, right to repairs and voids – 2929; of these
  • internal repairs – 2077
  • external repairs – 852
    • Alexandria – 176
    • Dumbarton – 110
    • Clydebank – 566

Not included in the routine repairs

  • capital repairs 605, roofs renewals, environmental works (paths etc.) kitchen, bathroom, shower, window / doors installs
  • direct sub contractor repairs – 484

Total outstanding repairs 4018

MF hopes that reporting of outstanding routine repairs can restart mid/end July, they are hoping to phase in new works so that this is manageable.

MF asked for feedback on proposed new model for dealing with non-urgent repairs. Repairs would be planned for a sub area within the council over a 6 week period (flexible depending on amount of work). Each area would be returned to after 18 weeks in a cyclical repairs roster. Roster could be flexible – some areas may need more or less time. Other housing providers doing it this way, tenants would know when repairs will take place in their area and less travel time for staff so more productive. Initially this could be an interim model, with consultation if it worked and wanted to roll out permanently.

FMcG asked if not easier for people to phone in repairs during the pandemic instead of letting them build up. MF advised that due to lower staffing levels, this had not been possible although emergency repairs were done. FMcG asked if people might be confused by new system, MF said that will probably take some time for people to get used to this but once people understand it may be a simpler process for people but appreciated that communication about the process will be very important.

HMcC asked why repairs were not logged during pandemic. MF advised that no other housing providers have been logging repairs, SHR have acknowledged this. New system would help to stagger repairs service when lines re-open.

JP unsure how tenants will feel about proposed change as all tenants feel their repair is important, some tenants might not like this. MF acknowledged that is completely different repairs service, but current system inefficient and old fashioned.

JM said that discussions with tenants raised concerns about how quickly can get through backlog before new repairs are logged. Questions about resourcing repairs. MF said that through further analysis can look at best way to prioritise backlog repairs. In the future, all repairs can be done by appointments.

JK noted that some positives but some concerns raised particularly with reference to communication. MF said that he can provide more information on proposed system and can provide this to WDTRO, could have two-tier system for a time to clear backlog. Can test it as an interim.

Action:
MF to create further information for discussion with WDTRO and meeting to discuss in more depth. ACTION: Martin Feeney

4

JK then offered opportunity for WDTRO to raise any other issues.

FMcG asked for update on care takers. ET said that care takers are back to full time hours as of last Monday, focusing on outside work, littering picking etc, and urgent cleaning duties. Care takers assessing areas where work which was not urgent but has gotten worse and some interim solutions being looked at. ET highlighted some areas where tenants have done some work in lieu of staff which has been appreciated.

FMcG asked about night-time hours of staff and ET confirmed that neighbourhood team now back to midnight. Looking to get another communication to residents of flats to introduce staff.

JP asked for clarity on times of operation for staff in her area, ET confirmed caretakers will be there until 4pm, neighbourhood team will be there from 2pm to midnight.

Action: ET to get communication out to tenants about responsibility of everyone to help keep spaces clean. ACTION: Edward Thomas

5

Tenant Participation Update ( Jane Mack)

JM confirmed that the TP Strategy was being reviewed and that a survey to collect views from staff, tenants and Councillors had been issued and want to encourage people to give feedback. Been sent out to all TRA members and been on FB, and sent to staff. Would like managers to encourage staff to provide feedback. Survey open until end of August.

Tenant Priority Budget

Want to also start encouraging tenants to make proposals, £400k in budget, people on walks etc. may have seen things out and about that could be improved. Suzanne Bannisters team can then cost up proposals . Will need to consider how we get tenants to consider proposals depending on how lockdown eases – could do online voting. HT is working on some communique around this, to be sent out over next few days.

6

AOCB

JM thanked everyone for attending meeting.

7

Date of meetings for 2020

TBC

WDC/WDTRO Liaison Meeting No.68
Thursday 27th August 2020, 2pm Via Zoom

Present:

  • Councillor Diane Docherty - Housing Convener (chair)
  • Frances McGonagle - Littleholm TRA
  • Georgia McCambley - Central Radnor Park TRA
  • Harry McCormack - Tullichewan TRA
  • Janette Donlin - Dalmuir TRA
  • Scott McClelland - Area Co-ordinator – Ward 2 &3
  • Stefan Kristmanns - Housing Development Co-ordinator
  • Peter Barry - Strategic Lead
  • Joanne Sutherland - Homelessness service co-ordinator
  • David Lynch - Area Co-ordinator –Wards 4,5a and 5b
  • John Kerr - Housing Development & Homelessness Manager
  • Edward Thomas - Housing Operations Manager
  • Alan Young - Housing Asset & Investment Manager
  • Jane Mack - Snr Housing Development Officer ( Tenant Participation )
  • Tracy Crichton - Housing Co-ordinator – wards 1 & 6
  • Tom Black - Technical officer
  • Hanne Thijs - Housing Development Officer (Tenant Participation) (minute taker)

 

Thursday 27th February 2020, 2pm at Dalmuir Community Centre, Clydebank.
No. Item

1

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from Billy Neeson, Polly Wheelans and Suzanne Bannister

2

Update re discussion at full Council meeting 26/8/20

Peter Barry joined meeting to give clarification and discuss any concerns the WDTRO had regarding discussion about HRA and DLO that took place at full Council meeting on 26/8 in relation to a paper on the impacts of COVID. Downturn of DLO through lockdown, still paying wages, but had no income. Some staff were furloughed, 80% of wages covered, 20% had to be covered by Council. One of the options in the Council paper was to explore whether HRA could fund the DLO’s lost income. Been discussed by COSLA and Audit Scotland happy to give Councils this flexibility. Councillors raised concern about this option at Council meeting and the potential £2.1m gap in DLO total budget . Only part of this figure is likely to be considered from HRA as some of these costs may still be recovered through work completed in the rest of the year. Too early to say what the final financial impact on DLO will be. If this money were to come from HRA, clear cost would need to be confirmed, would need to consult with tenants and would need to consult with Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR). Peter wanted to clarify the situation with tenants as this is likely to be discussed widely and emphasised that long way from any agreement and that JRG and WDTRO would be fully consulted.

Frances advised she had listen to the Council discussion and had been concerned but happy to hear Peter’s clarification and assurances about consultation.

Peter Barry left the meeting

3

Update on actions from previous minutes – (Stefan Kristmanns)

Windows at West Court, no written update. Edward Thomas advised no progress due to Covid and will get prioritised when possible in next couple of months.

Working group to review communication when lifts not working - Scott will look at getting a group meeting set up before the next Liaison and provide an update then. ACTION: Scott McLelland

Repair call handling information - Stefan discussed call handling stats provided and Cllr Docherty asked for stats from non-Covid affected months and more information on average waiting time . Suzanne confirmed that monthly reports go to DLO Board so Stefan to get these and have as a regular agenda item so can build up trend information and monitor performance. Waiting time is key area for tenants – average waiting time given so also want to know what is longest and shortest waiting time in relation to average. ACTION: Stefan Kristmanns

District heating – no progress due to Covid. Alan Young been in touch with John McKenna to let him know WDTRO meetings have resumed, to then provide update. Jane requested that written info is provided as can be technical and tenants need time to digest before discussion. ACTION: Alan Young

Fire safety report – Edward Thomas noted consultant has resumed work on report. Looking to get report to committee in November and so will be discussed at Pre-HACC Forum.

Tenant involvement for new build design – John Kerr will update on this in his Forward Plan update on the agenda. Have completed a survey of new tenants of recent new build projects and a report on their views is available. Frances noted that doors should be considered for new builds as there are accessibility issues for people with disabilities.

4

Building Services -Information circulated ahead of meeting.

Tom Black discussed briefing note. Confirmed that not all staff back to work, some still furloughed and hoping as we move into Sept, more staff are back at work. Backlog is declining, had initially concentrated on external repairs but now also doing internal. Plans to work within localised areas to get backlog down further being looked at. Frances and Jane asked for clarity as previously told this option was no longer being considered and had agreed that move to this method of working would need tenant consultation. Alan Young clarified that Martin Feeney had had discussions with other stakeholders and the backlog would be cleared before looking at new method of dealing with repairs.

Action : Jane to contact Martin Feeney for confirmation and Cllr Docherty to be included in email.

5

Housing Operations - Information circulated ahead of meeting

Scott McClelland gave update on new neighbourhood team. During lockdown were vital in dealing with vulnerable tenants and once lockdown eased brought in full job specs. Been very busy, on patrol to midnight every day. Feedback has been positive and high visibility of staff been well received. Also dealing with emergencies and ASB concerns and Scott happy with how they are integrating into caretaker service.
Neighbourhood team can act as professional witnesses and been successful in dealing with incident witnessed at West Court Multi storey flats of people throwing things out of a window, they contacted police and can go to court if necessary. Team very enthusiastic and Scott getting lots of ideas from them. ASB officers will be mobile and back in areas within next few weeks, working within government guidelines. Scott will let WDTRO know when they are fully active. Frances confirmed that neighbourhood team been fabulous ,they are on the ball and visible.

David Lynch gave an update on caretakers who since lockdown adopted a Covid-19 awareness cleaning routine focusing on touch plates, handrails etc. David acknowledged drop in some of their duties to allow them to focus on Covid cleaning. Neighbourhood care-taking team now available at weekends so have a caretaking service 365 days a year from 8am to 4pm.

Tracy Crichton gave update on housing officers who are working from home and been contacting tenants to check if any support needs. Initially dealing with homeless lets and emergency calls but since end of June introduced mainstream lets, completing viewings and sign ups with PPE, social distancing in place. Also doing inspections in areas. Moving towards normal practice but not fully there yet.

Edward Thomas noted that staff working very hard, thanked tenants for patience during lockdown and recovery plan and asked for continued patience as moved through recovery phases.

6

Update on work agreed through Tenant Priority Budget 2019/20

A lot of work which had been halted due to lockdown is being restarted. Outstanding work on the spreadsheet being progressed by Tom and Craig.

In relation to Littleholm laundry option which had been a proposal from previous year so not on the spreadsheet, David Lynch confirmed that had conducted joint inspection with building services and architects and has drawings and costings to consider – work has a lot of additional complications with regard to plumbing and wiring. There are options and David will arrange a local meeting with tenants to discuss and invite architect Leong Lee too. ACTION: David Lynch

7

Forward Plan Update ( info provided by John Kerr)

John Kerr shared video of one of the 126 units at the St Andrews development. First handovers end of Sept. New handover processes due to Covid-19 and will use more digital content for user guides on heating etc but still have physical handbooks. Will be a break in handovers from 10th Dec over festive period as not fair to tenants to move at this time so any slippage on site might mean more moving in 2021. Going to use “show home” model to help with viewings.

John reminded group of desire to set up a new tenant design group to look at enhanced specifications and energy efficiency measures for future housing – was tenant interest and John will send out invites as soon as possible. ACTION: John Kerr

New social housing will be important for providing new homes and also for economic recovery so want to be developing ambitious but achievable plans for the future and are assessing all HRA sites for suitability

8

Tenant Participation Update (Jane Mack)

A summer TP Update was issued 3/8 and emailed to Housing teams, TRA members and elected members. Focused on introducing Hanne , encouraging new proposals for the Tenant Priority Budget and the review of the TP Strategy.
Autumn edition of the Housing News being put together and will be a full 8 page edition and due to be posted to tenants around 23 Sept.
The annual report on TP progress is going to Housing committee on 2/9 and the paper includes a copy of the Strategy action plan and performance report. The Strategy survey is to help gather views on what is currently working and what needs improved so tenants and staff are encouraged to give their views. ACTION: Staff and tenants

Will also review what other consultation can be done depending on how lockdown restrictions change. The new Strategy is planned to go to February 2021 committee and survey is open until the end of October.

Throughout lockdown kept in touch with most of our active tenants by phone and our FB page has been an important way to keep in touch and to help spread useful information and support for people. The Scrutiny Panel , JRG and the WDTRO meetings are all taking place via zoom so most of our participation activities have been sustained – only face to face meetings not happening so means some TRAs not been meeting but Hanne will be contacting them after the summer recess and see what support can be given. Some groups been using zoom and FB to keep in touch and been going really well. ACTION: Hanne
Have put together some COVID guidance and any group with questions or any concerns should just get in touch. There are no plans to open offices up for meetings so virtual meetings will remain in place but we’ll also do more to get paper copies of material out to people to aid participation at virtual meetings. Lockdown has brought difficulties but there are also opportunities as many people are more aware of the community around them so we want to make the most of that too.

Harry McCormack acknowledged hard time but Facebook been good for Tullichewan TRA and helped them link in to other services for the community and been more interest in the TRA due to them keeping people up to date.

9

AOCB

Frances McGonagle asked if anyone knew when Lady of Loretto Nursery was opening again – Jane to find out and confirm

 

10

Date of meeting - 2pm Thursday 22nd October, via Zoom

Briefing Note: WDTRO
Subject: Building Services Re-Start Plan COVID-19 Coronavirus Crisis
From: Martin Feeney, Building Services Manager
Date: 24 June 2020

Introduction

  1. The recent and on-going pandemic has restricted the maintenance and repairs services the Council could deliver under the Scottish Government Lockdown in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus crisis.
  2. The pandemic and lockdown resulted in only essential services being provided and these included the Emergency Repair Service, Void House Repairs to build resilience within the Council’s Homeless Accommodation, were void houses were pre-allocated to Residents whose current accommodation doesn’t meet their needs and other Essential Incidental Urgent Repairs including Special Needs Adaptation.
  3. During lockdown each week circa 70 – 80 Building Services team members have been delivering the services highlighted in 2 above. Technical and backroom team members have and continue to work from home, others have been released to other services and the remaining team member confined to their homes awaiting call back to work.
  4. The Scottish Government have started to lift some lockdown restrictions under its 4 stage route map and Construction Scotland Re-start Model 6 stage plan.

    Table 1: Scottish Government Route Map

    Table 1: Scottish Government Route Map
    Lockdown Phase 1 Phase 2 Phase 3 Phase 4

    High transmission of the virus. Risk of overwhelming NHS capacity without significant

    restrictions in place.

    High risk the virus is not yet contained. Continued risk of overwhelming NHS capacity without some

    restrictions in place.

    Virus is controlled but risk of spreading remains. Focus is on containing outbreaks.

    Virus has been suppressed.

    Continued focus on containing sporadic

    outbreaks.

    Virus remains suppressed to very low levels and is no longer considered a significant threat to

    public health.

    Table 2: Construction Scotland Re-start Model

    Table 2: Construction Scotland Re-start Model
    Phase 0 Phase 1 Phase 2 Phase 3 Phase 4 Phase 5

    Planning

    Pre-start site preparation

    "Soft start" to site works
    (where physical distancing can be maintained)

    Steady state operation (where
    physical distancing can be maintained)

    Steady state operation (with
    physical distancing or controlled close
    working with PPE)

    increasing density / productivity

     

  5. As we progress to the phases beyond lockdown, we will be able to return to delivering more services.

  6. In the Scottish Government update on Thursday 18 June 2020 it was confirmed we were now in phase 2 of the route map and construction sector could implement remaining stages of phased return subject to all criteria being met

Building Services Re-start Plan

  1. Building Services re-start and recovery plan will be in-line with the Scottish Government 4 stage route map and Construction Scotland Re-start Model subject to the Scottish Government criteria being met.

    Table 3: Building Services Re-start Plan
    Table 3: Building Services Re-start Plan
    Scottish Route Map Re-start Model Construction Scotland Re-start Model Building Services Action Status / Date
    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Preparation

     

    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Prepare Depot / Offices and Sites including signage, one way systems

    etc.

    Complete

    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Introduce safe office and depot plans ensuring social distancing / welfare

    facilities

    Complete

    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Review Risk Assessments (RAs) / Safe Systems of Works (SSoWs) / Method

    Statement (MS)

    On-going

    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Agree staggered start and finish times with TU’s and

    Workforce

    Agreed

    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Review supply chains and possible lags in material

    deliveries

    On-going

    Phase 1 Phase 1

    Small team preparing site for re- commencement,

    including all revised welfare, cleaning, signage & security (team size: 10 to 12)

    Manage current shortages of personal protective

    equipment (PPE)

    On-going

    Phase 2

    Phase 2

    Slow build-up of workforce to optimum capacity with physical distancing and no use of Covid-19 PPE - familiarisation with new

    arrangements

    External works and essential internal works commence

    Commencing 22/06/20

    Phase 2

    Phase 3

    Steady state operation with physical distancing and no use of Covid-19 PPE. Progression through Phase 3 will be subject to continuous monitoring by site management with feedback of data/evidence used to inform ongoing review of health and safety systems

    As above increasing pre COVID-19 levels to 30% - 40%

    10/07/20