Skip to content

The Right to Repair Scheme

The Government introduced the "right to repair" scheme to make sure we do certain repairs for Council Tenants within set timescales.  The scheme allows you to have certain repairs done by an approved Contractor if we don't do the work on time.

Below is the list of repairs we have to repair within timescale, if they are not complete within timescale you have the right to approach the Council to ask for the nominated alternative contractor.

1 Day

  • Blocked Flue to Open fire or Boiler
  • Blocked or leaking foul drains, soil stacks or toilet
  • Blocked sink, bath or drain
  • Total loss of electricity
  • Partial loss of electricity
  • Insecure external window, door or lock
  • Unsafe access path or step
  • Significant leaks or flooding from water or heating pipes, tanks or cisterns
  • Total or partial loss of Gas supply
  • Total or partial loss of heating with no alternative heating
  • Only toilet in the house not flushing
  • Unsafe electrical sockets or lighting socket or fitting
  • Total loss of water supply

3 days

  • Partial loss of water supply
  • Loose or detached banister or handrail
  • Unsafe timber flooring or stair tread

7 days

  • Extractor fan in kitchen or bathroom not working

How do I know if I can use the scheme?

If you are waiting for one of the above repairs and it has not been started within the target “Days to complete” shown above, you have the right to approach an alternative contractor nominated by us for the particular trade needed to do the job for you. You will find a note of the approved list of contractors on the reverse of the repair receipt that we post out to you. Please note that the Right to Repair scheme only covers the specific types of repair listed above. We will not consider claims for jobs not included in this list and you will have to pay for the work yourself if you go ahead and arrange for repairs to be done. To help you to decide whether or not the repair is covered by the scheme, the repair receipt that we issue will show (Y) or (YES) in the box marked "Right to Repair." If this box is blank the repair cannot be dealt with under the Right to Repair scheme. The estimated value of the work must not exceed £350.00 (Three Hundred and Fifty Pounds sterling).

How do I arrange for a nominated contractor to do the work?

You can exercise your right once the target “Date to be completed by” shown on your repair receipt has expired. You can only approach a nominated contractor if no work has been started by us or by our contractors. We only count normal working days, the target “Date to be completed by” shown on your receipt will have discounted holidays and weekends. The nominated contractor that you approach will give you details of how and when the work will be done.


Compensation is available but only where repairs are included in the above list. Please note that no other repairs will be considered.

If your repair has not started by the target date “Date to be completed by” shown on your receipt you are entitled to claim £15.00 (Fifteen Pounds sterling).

If the target date “Date to be completed by” is not clear on your receipt for any reason, please contact your local repairs call centre or call into your local Area Housing Office and our staff will check the job details and give you the “Date to be completed by” (also known as the Target Date) for the work.

You can claim a further £3.00 (Three Pounds sterling) for each working day beyond the target date, or “Date to be completed by”, until the repair is completed.

The maximum amount of compensation is £100.00 (One Hundred Pounds sterling) for any repair claim. Please note that if you are in arrears or owe money to the Council, any compensation due will first be used to pay the debts. The remainder if any would be issued to you. The alternative Contractor has the same amount of time to do the job as the original contractor had.

The £3.00 daily compensation starts when the alternative Contractor has not met the timescale for the repair: i.e. 1, 3, or 7 days from when you contact them. If the original Contractor did call within the target date but got no access to your home for any reason, the Right to Repair scheme does not apply. You have to re-apply for the repair to be done and the dates relate to the new repair order. Provided the repair qualifies from the list above, is within the estimate value and you have used only the appropriate nominated Contractor on the back of your receipt, the Council will meet the cost of the repair. 

Further information on the Right to Repair scheme, including in alternative languages, is available on the Scottish Government website.