There may be other forms of help available.

Some of the help available is listed below:

Concessionary Benefits and Other Help
Benefit What is it? Who qualifies?
Discretionary Housing Payment Discretionary Housing Payments can provide extra money when your council decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs.

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability.

You can apply through your local authority.

Crisis Grant/Community Care Grant The Scottish Welfare Fund helps families and people in Scotland who are on low incomes through Crisis Grants and Community Care Grants.

You can apply for a:

  • Crisis Grant – if you're in crisis because of a disaster (like a fire or flood), or an emergency (like losing your money or an unexpected expense), or
  • Community Care Grant – to help you or someone you care for to start to live, or to carry on living, a settled life in the community.

You can apply through your local authority.

 Winter Fuel Payment This is a lump sum payment to help with heating costs. You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). If you’re eligible but do not get paid automatically, you will need to make a claim.
 Cold Weather Payment You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days. You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.
 Warm Home Discount A one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.  There are 2 ways to qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme: How you apply for the Warm Home Discount Scheme depends on how you qualify for the discount. If you have a long term illness or disability, you should speak to your fuel provider about their Priority Service Register.
Energy Advice Free and impartial advice on how to reduce energy usage, find the best supplier and tariff, assist with fuel debt issues and access to grants for boilers, insulation and heating. You can access help from West Dunbartonshire Citizens Advice Bureau, or by calling Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282.
 Help with Health Costs You may qualify for help if you receive certain benefits or are on a low income.  You can pick up the HC1 form for the Low Income Scheme, available from community pharmacies, GP practices, Citizens Advice Bureau and Jobcentre Plus offices.
 Blue Badge A Blue Badge lets you park closer to your destination. It can also help you stay active and independent. If you're a driver or a passenger and you have mobility issues, you may be eligible for a Blue Badge.
 Concessionary Travel Free bus travel for people under 25 or over 60 or with a disability throughout Scotland. Some disabled people will be able to get a card that allows them and a companion to travel free and people with visual impairments can also access free rail transport. You may be able to get a concessionary bus pass if you are:
  • aged 60 and over,
  • are disabled or have a long term health condition, or
  • Aged under 25.
Certain other groups of people may qualify.
CEA card A card that enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema. The person requiring assistance must be 8 years of age or older and be in receipt of certain benefits, or have one of the following:
  • Severely Sight Impaired Registration (formerly Registered Blind),
  • Sight Impaired Registration (formerly Partially Sighted).
Vehicle Road Tax Exemption  Exemption from or a reduction on Vehicle Road Tax if you have a disability. You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the: The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.
 Legal Aid Legal aid can help meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal. Whether you qualify for legal aid will depend on:
  • the type of case, and
  • your financial circumstances.
 Help with Veterinary Costs Free or low cost PDSA veterinary treatment. Check the PDSA eligibility checker to see if you qualify.