If you live in a tenement or multi-storey flat, you can recycle using blue bags which are collected by Greenlight Environmental. Your blue recycling bags should be kept in your home and placed out on your landing on your day of collection every two weeks. Please do not leave your recycling bags on your landing or any other communal area outwith your collection day as this is a fire risk.
Please help us to recycle more by putting the following items into your blue bag:
Paper products including:
- Soft-backed catalogues
- Envelopes including window envelopes
- Unwanted mail (no cellophane)
- Telephone directories (including Yellow Pages)
- Office paper
- Copier, fax and note paper
Cardboard and cartons including:
- Cereal boxes
- Ready meal sleeves (no food trays)
- Cardboard egg boxes (no polystyrene types)
- Food and drink cartons e.g. fruit juice cartons, soup, milk or custard cartons
- Toothpaste boxes
- Insides of kitchen rolls and toilet rolls
- Cardboard packaging (no polystyrene or other plastic packaging)
- Boxes from toys, games and household goods (no plastic packaging)
Plastic bottles (clear and coloured) including:
- Fizzy drinks - Coca-Cola, Irn-Bru, etc.
- Water - Highland Spring, Evian, etc.
- Beer, lager or cider (no liquids)
- Detergent - Persil, Bold, etc.
- Household cleaners - Mr Muscle, Domestos, etc.
- Fabric softener - Comfort, Lenor, etc.
- Washing up liquid - Fairy, etc.
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Liquid hand wash
Please remember to remove all lids from plastic bottles, labels do not need to be removed.
Plastic tubs including:
- Yoghurt pots
- Butter/margarine tubs
- Clear plastic fruit tubs
All tubs need to be rinsed out to remove all food residue
Aluminium drinks cans and foil including:
- Fizzy drinks cans - Coca-Cola, Irn-Bru, etc.
- Beer cans - Tennents, Guinness, etc.
- Cider cans - Woodpecker, Strongbow, etc.
- Aerosol cans - Hairspray, Deodorant, etc.
- Clean Aluminium foil pie cases
- Clean Aluminium foil cake cases
- Clean Aluminium fast food trays
- Clean tin foil
- Metal lids
Steel food tins including:
- Soup tins
- Baked bean tins
- Vegetable tins - Tomatoes, mixed veg, etc.
- Fish tins - Tuna, salmon, etc.
- Meat tins - Corned beef, Fray Bentos, etc.
- Pet food tins
- Baby food tins
- Biscuit tins
Please rinse any food or drink from bottles, cans and tins to reduce any contamination.
Please do NOT place into your blue bag:
- Food waste
- Plastic bags
- Plastic film and black plastic food trays
- Polystyrene or other plastic packaging material
- Paint tins
- Foil wrapping paper
- Hard backs from catalogues (inner pages can be recycled)
- Paper/kitchen towels
- Cardboard contaminated with food e.g. Pizza take-away boxes