What is the Scottish Super Sponsor Scheme and how is it different from the Homes for Ukraine scheme?

The Scottish Super Sponsor scheme removes the need for people from Ukraine to be matched with a Sponsor prior to being given permission to travel to the UK.

The Scottish Super Sponsor scheme is accessible through the UK Government’s Homes for Ukraine portal.  Ukrainians can select ‘The Scottish Government’ when asked for the name of their Sponsor. When they are provided with a visa, they can then travel onto the UK.

The Scottish Super Sponsor scheme speeds up the matching process between individual Sponsors, Ukrainians and an available property. This may be a social or private rental property or, where Sponsors have agreed and checks have been undertaken, a Sponsor’s property (see ‘What is the role of a Sponsor’ below) or another property from the Homes for Ukraine portal.

Councils will carry out housing and disclosure checks before putting suitable properties and Sponsors forward for matching.

More information on what happens when people arrive via the Scottish Super Sponsor scheme and matching can be found here.

What’s involved in being a Sponsor?

In Scotland, all Sponsors:

  • And adults aged over 16 in the Sponsors household must agree to an enhanced Disclosure Scotland check, including an ID check.
  • Must agree to a home visit undertaken by a Council Officer, in order to assess the suitability of the accommodation offered.
  • Must undergo Council system checks, including In Scotland, all Sponsors:
  • And adults aged over 16 in the Sponsors household must agree to an enhanced Disclosure Scotland check, including an ID check.
  • Must agree to a home visit undertaken by a Council Officer, in order to assess the suitability of the accommodation offered.
  • Must undergo Council system checks, including a social work and Council record check for child and adult protection risk or concerns.
  • Must check their mortgage lender’s website for further guidance, or seek the agreement of their landlord if they are a tenant.
  • Must notify their home insurance provider that they will be hosting people from Ukraine, prior to their arrival.
  • Are required to provide suitable accommodation for a minimum of 6 months.
  • Should support and help people from Ukraine to adapt to life in Scotland, initially checking if they have enough food and supplies such as toiletries, along with checking if they have access to a mobile phone and internet to stay in touch with family members.
  • Should help direct the people from Ukraine that they are hosting to public services, for example, registering with a GP or NHS dentist.

If you are a Sponsor that has not undergone the appropriate checks, or you become aware that someone has matched privately with a displaced person with a Super Sponsor visa, please contact the Councils Resettlement Team so that all safeguarding checks can be carried out as soon as possible

Will I receive help with extra costs?

If you’re taking part in the Homes for Ukraine scheme as a sponsor, you can apply for an optional ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per month, for as long as the guest remains in your accommodation for up to 12 months. This payment will be tax free and should not affect your Council Tax status or entitlement to benefits.

You are eligible for a ‘thank you’ payment if all of the following are true:

  • a guest is living in your accommodation under the Homes for Ukraine scheme
  • you are the named ‘lead sponsor’
  • you are not charging the guest rent.

We will:

  • ensure that you have passed the necessary property and safeguarding checks before making payments
  • conduct anti-fraud checks
  • conduct in-person checks to verify that the guest is still living at the accommodation
  • continue to make monthly payments for as long as you are eligible.

What your payments will be?

You will receive £350.00 per month paid into your bank account monthly in arrears. This payment recognises the Sponsor’s generosity, and the additional costs associated with helping.

Only one monthly payment will be given per residential address, regardless of the number of guests being hosted, size, or location of the property.

You can claim for as long as the guest remains in your accommodation for up to 12 months.

If your guest leave please email HomesforUkraine@west-dunbarton.gov.uk to notify us of the change. 

This payment will be released once property and personal (disclosure) checks have been completed and is expected to cover any utility bill increases.

What if I have safeguarding concerns relating to any of the resettlement schemes?

If you, or anyone you know, has any concerns about potential abuses of the scheme or people involved in the scheme, you should report them at the earliest opportunity to either Social Work Services or HomesforUkraine@west-dunbarton.gov.uk

If you are concerned that a crime has been committed, or if there is a threat of a crime being committed, this should be reported to the police immediately.

What if I have made a Private Match?

Sponsors who are not part of the Scottish Super Sponsor scheme are also responsible for staying in contact with the people from Ukraine prior to their arrival. This includes helping to organise and coordinate arrival in the UK, meeting them on arrival, and facilitating transfer to accommodation. Sponsors are also responsible for signposting the people from Ukraine to public services and assist them with tasks such as registering with a local GP surgery.

How long does Sponsoring go on for?

Six months is the minimum for the scheme, but you may want to be prepare for a longer-term commitment for several reasons including: 

  • There is no indication things will be better in Ukraine at that point.
  • Local authorities may not have enough housing stock to meet the needs of the Ukrainian people even though they will have access to housing and other benefits.

Will my Council Tax Reduction be affected?

The £350 optional ‘thank you’ payment will not be counted as income or capital so it won’t affect your Council Tax reduction. 

Will I be paid rent?

No. You should not charge any rent to Ukrainian people staying with you.

Will the Ukrainian people staying with me get any immediate financial support?

Yes, the Council will provide an interim payment of £200 per person for living costs on arrival. This does not need to be repaid. This payment can be collected by your guests at the Council’s Municipal Bank, Sylvania Way, Clydebank. Your guests should bring their passports with their Visa stamp with them.  We will take a photocopy of the Visa Stamp as proof of ID and return the passport to your guest before making the payment.

Will Ukrainian People be able to access benefits?

Most people of working age will qualify for Universal Credit, which is paid to people currently unemployed but seeking work or on a low income.  Additional money advice, and support with benefit applications or budgeting for Ukrainian people is available in the Benefits and Grants section.

How can Ukrainian People open a Bank Account?

To open a bank account, Ukrainian people will need to provide their UK visa, Ukrainian passport and proof of address. As it is unlikely they will have proof of address, most Banks will accept a suitable letter from hosts vouching that their guests are living with them under the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

What about my Mortgage?

It is recommended that you check with your landlord or mortgage provider about whether they have any policies which you need to factor in. It is important you think through any possible implications for your mortgage before the Ukrainian people staying with you arrive in the UK.

What about my Household Insurance?

For homeowners accommodating people from Ukraine in their home under the scheme there is no need to contact your insurer, on the basis they are accommodated as non-paying guests. Please refer to the Association of British Insurers’ statement for more details.

In other situations, including where the Sponsor is a landlord or a tenant, you will need to contact your insurer.

Am I expected to provide meals too or just accommodation?

As a Sponsor, you are only expected to provide accommodation. However, there is nothing stopping Sponsors offering meals should they wish. Sponsors will not be expected to cover the costs of food and living expenses, although you may wish to offer this, especially in early weeks while the Ukrainian people you are hosting are finding their feet in Scotland. You should not expect them to carry out any unpaid work

Are Ukrainian Children entitled to transport to and from School?

Our school transport policy applies to Ukrainian children, so if you live more than 2 miles from your catchment school you are entitled to free Transport.  

School Transport Application Form

How do Ukrainian People secure a Biometric Card (BRP)?

As soon as possible after Ukrainian people arrive, they should apply for the biometric card (BRP card) and extension via the UK Government website. Once the application has been completed, the applicant will be invited to an appointment. The appointment will be in either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

What if I can no longer be a Sponsor?

Life is unpredictable and our personal circumstances change. If for any reason you need to end the sponsorship arrangement early, you should inform the Council’s Resettlement Team as soon as possible. The Council will help the people staying with you go through their housing options.  Alternative accommodation might not be with the Council because of the shortage of Council properties..

Further information about terminating a match early is available on the GOV.UK website.                                                                       

What happens at the end of the 6 months Sponsorship period?

Sponsors are committed to hosting the people from Ukrainian for a minimum of 6 months, but you may choose to continue beyond the initial six months if you and the Ukrainian individual/family wish to do so.

If you want to end the arrangement at six months, you should let the Ukrainian people staying with you know in plenty of time (for example, one month) so they can make other arrangements. You should also inform the Council’s Resettlement Team as soon as possible.

If you want to end the agreement beyond the six month period, it is asked that you give the Ukrainian people staying with you 2 months’ notice, to allow time for alternative measures to be put into place.

Ukrainian people will have access to public funds during their time in the UK, and at the end of their six month sponsorship will be able to rent a property like anyone else. If they need further support, the Council can support them in finding alternative accommodation. Further guidance on this will be provided in due course.

Where can I find more information on the Homes for Ukraine scheme and the Scottish Super Sponsor Scheme?

For information on Homes for Ukraine -

For more information on the Scottish Super Sponsor scheme - https://www.gov.scot/publications/super-sponsor-scheme-and-homes-for-ukraine-guidance-for-local-authorities/

A handy list of key contact numbers, factsheets and other resources can be found on the Scottish Government Website.