Skip to content

Dalmuir Public School, c 1926

In 1873, a disused school in Dalmuir was re-opened by the newly-appointed Old Kilpatrick School Board to provide temporary schooling for Dalmuir children until the Board's new school on Kilbowie Road was built. However, the proposal to transfer the Dalmuir children to the new school was fiercely resisted by their parents. With the support of the Scotch Education Department, the parents established a private school in a local Masonic Lodge until the Board agreed to built a new primary school in Auld Street in Dalmuir. In 1908, the school in Auld Street moved to the building pictured here.