Click on a letter of the alphabet for specific place names beginning with that letter:
The medieval Collegiate Church of St Mary in Dumbarton owned some land in the vicinity, including some acres to the north east of Dumbarton, beneath the Long Crags. These were called "Maryland" after the Virgin Mary to whom the church had been dedicated.
Maryland Farm later occupying those lands thus has a name that refers back to the original church connection.
From at least late medieval times, lands were sometimes named locally after their rental value. Land to the value of one merk (an old Scottish currency measure) could be called "Merklands", or its diminutive, "Merkins". Merkins in West Dunbartonshire lies at the south end of the Parish of Kilmaronock.
Merkins Farm, near Gartocharn, is named after the land.
Merkins Avenue is one of those roadways in Bellsmyre, Dumbarton, named after lands not far from the housing scheme.
This is a common place name in Scotland and the UK generally. It is, of course, simply "mill" +"toun" or "-ton" (="enclosed piece of land"), land on which there is (or was) a mill. Mills were a very important part of the local economy in times past.
Milton, the village two miles east of Dumbarton, was sometimes referred to in old documents as "Milton of Colquhoun" after the Colquhouns who once owned the land in the area.
Milton is also the name of land between Jamestown and Bonhill, with Milton Farm is named after the land. North of Dalmonach Works, and on both sides of the main road from Bonhill, from 1772 and well into the twentieth century, stood the buildings of Milton Works, one of the textile factories in the Vale of Leven.
There are also lands called Milton east of Duntocher and south of Faifley.