Why do we need your personal information and what we do with it

You are giving us your personal information to allow us to provide a registrar to carry out a ceremony at a venue which has been mutually agreed by the couple and registrar/local authority.  We also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone and to maintain our records.

Legal basis for using your information

We provide these services to you as part of our statutory function and the Immigration Act 2014. If you do not provide us with the information we have asked for then we will not be able to provide this service to you.

Who do we share your information with?

We may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes.  We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.  This data sharing is covered in our full privacy statement on our website.  It also forms part of our requirements in line with our Records Management plan approved in terms of the Public Records (Scotland) Act 2011.  The external agencies that we may share with include:

  • Home Office and other immigration authorities
  • National Records of Scotland
  • Police Scotland

West Dunbartonshire Council is under a legal obligation to safeguard public funds and so in all cases we reserve the right to check the information you have provided for accuracy or in order to detect fraud. This may involve data matching exercises where we compare different sets of data which we hold (or share with or are shared from other agencies for unusual matches or discrepancies; this may also include matching our data with external data sources such as information held by credit reference agencies.

We also participate in anti-fraud data matching exercise carried out by other agencies such as the National Fraud Initiative (operated on behalf of Audit Scotland) and the Housing Benefit Matching Service (conducted on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions). As we are supported by public funds, we have a duty to manage public funds properly.

As a result, we will use the information you provide to make sure all amounts we are owed are paid on time. In relation to outstanding money owed, we may also share your information with Debt Management Partners and the Courts. We may also share your information for the same purposes with other public organisations, including the Council, neighbouring councils that handle public funds, and with the Police. We may also share your details with other organisations, including credit reference agencies, for the purposes of prevention and detection of fraud and confirming who is living at a particular address

How long do we keep your information for?

We only keep your personal information for the minimum amount of time necessary.  Sometimes this time period is set out in the law, but in most cases it is based on business need.  We maintain a records retention and disposal schedule which sets out how long we hold different types of information for. 

Your rights under data protection law:

  • Access to your information – you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you.
  • Correcting your information – we want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
  • Deletion of your information – you have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where:
    • you think that we no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained
    • you have a genuine objection to our use of your personal information – see Objecting to how we may use your information below
    • our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.
  • Restricting how we may use your information – in some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information that we hold about you or we are assessing the objection you have made to our use of your information.  This right might also apply if we no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data.  Where this right is realistically applied will mean that we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.
  • Complaints:  We aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at:  Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit their website for more information at https://ico.org.uk/concerns