Birth certificate amendments

You can request a copy of a birth certificate from our Registrars Office in Dumbarton or Clydebank. For more information please contact us and we can explain the procedure and cost.

Who may apply to record a change of name?

Any person whose birth is registered in Scotland or who was legally adopted in Scotland may apply for a recorded change of name.  If the person is under 16 years of age, the application must be made by a qualified applicant who is defined as follows:

  • where only one parent has parental responsibilities in relation to the child, that parent
  • where both parents have such responsibilities in relation to the child, both parents
  • where neither parent has such responsibilities, any other person who has such responsibilities.

If the person is over 16 years of age, they must apply on their own behalf.

More information can be found on the National Records of Scotland website.

Booking an appointment

Most registration services are by appointment only, for further information please contact us.