The short term lets licensing regime

The Scottish government has introduced a new licensing regime to regulate the operation of short-term lets. A licence is now required where residential accommodation is let to a guest on a short-term basis in the course of a business (subject to a transitional period). 

This licensing regime commences as of 1 October 2022. After this date, new hosts and operators cannot accept bookings or trade until they have secured a licence. 

All existing hosts and operators will have until 1 April 2023 to apply for a licence for any relevant premises. Hosts and operators will be permitted to operate the premises without a licence after 1 April 2023 while the licence application is being determined. 

Further information on the licence is available on the Short-term let licences page.

The effect of a licence

A licensed short-term let is subject to the terms of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and any conditions attached to its licence. Therefore, the Council can consider matters relating to the suitability of the licence holder, threats to public safety or public order, or whether the conditions of the licence have been breached. 

These issues would include a host/operator exceeding the number of people staying at the premises, serious disturbance or antisocial behaviour, or concerns about the maintenance and safety of the premises. 

A note of the conditions that are and can be attached to a licence can be found in the Council’s Short-Term Lets Policy. 

Please note that the Council cannot consider complaints about the quality of a guest’s stay or specific contractual matters between the guest and the host/operator, as this is outside the scope of the licensing scheme. 


Complaints about the operation of a licensed short-term let should be made to our Civic Licensing Standards Officers who are responsible for supervising holders of licences in terms of their compliance with the conditions of their licences and other requirements of the 1982 Act. Contact details are undernoted. 

Upon receiving a complaint, our Civic Licensing Standards Officer will investigate the complaint. Depending on the results of that initial investigation, input may be required from other Council departments, for example, Planning or Environmental Health, or external partners, for example, Police Scotland or Scottish Fire and Rescue. 

Our Civic Licensing Standards Officers will issue a response to you once they have concluded their investigations and taken any action deemed necessary. 

Unlicensed operation of short-term lets

Police Scotland are responsible for dealing with issues relating to the unlicensed operation of a short-term let. 

Contact Civic Licensing Standards Officers

Civic Licensing Standards Officers
Regulatory and Regeneration Services
Municipal Buildings
College Street
Postcode: G82 1NR

Tel: 01389 738741