West Dunbartonshire Council are committed to end the stigma around period poverty
Free Period Products (eco-friendly pads and tampons) are available in your community.
Free period products are available to anyone that needs them across West Dunbartonshire in community venues including health centres, libraries, community centres and leisure centres. Simply drop in and pick up what you need.
Don’t worry, we won’t ask any awkward questions.
New legislation came into force 15th August 2022, meaning local authorities now have a legal duty to have period products available for free. In West Dunbartonshire, the products have already been available for free within schools for 5 years and community venues for four years.
West Dunbartonshire Council, on the basis of funding made available by the Scottish Government, is working to ensure everyone in West Dunbartonshire who has a period will have convenient access to appropriate products free of charge, as and when they are required, in schools and community venues across the authority.
The aim of the scheme is to help end period poverty and the stigma around this, by making sure everyone who needs these products can pick them up for free at an easily accessible pick up point – with no questions asked.
The Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland) Act 2021 now requires local authorities to:
- Ensure period products are generally obtainable free of charge;
- Education providers (have) to ensure period products obtainable free of charge by pupils and students; and
- Specified public service bodies (have) to ensure period products are obtainable free of charge by persons in their premises.
Period products must be reasonably easy to obtain and provided in a way that respects the dignity of those obtaining the products. In addition, there must be a reasonable choice of different products available.
Local Authorities have published a written Statement of Provision in 2022 describing their plans for provision in their local areas. West Dunbartonshire Council's Statement of Provision was prepared in consultation with relevant individuals, groups and organisations.
This consultation sought information to inform decisions about:
- The way products may be made available;
- The types of products required;
- the premises where the products will be available;
- The location of products in those premises.
West Dunbartonshire Council Statement of Community Based Provision
Community Access to Period Products Consultation report
We do not ask for any proof of identity or income details.
Our products are available at no cost to all residents and those who work in or visit West Dunbartonshire.
Providing free products is extremely important
Free products not only help end period poverty, they promote equality. It is overwhelmingly women and girls who have to bear the cost for a biological process that they cannot control.
As well as supporting people on low-incomes, free period products give peace of mind to everyone who has periods. The knowledge that products are there in case you forget them, or start unexpectedly, can be very reassuring. Providing free products ensures all people can menstruate with dignity.
See our list of community venues who currently stock products.
To find out where you can pick up these products, why not download the 'PickupmyPeriod' App. The app allows users to identify locations across Scotland, where free period products will be available.
Send us an email at email@example.com if you need additional support to access period products or have any other questions or comments about this service.
Find out where you can pick up free period products like sanitary towels and tampons
You can find your nearest venue stocking free period products on the MyPeriodLive website. You can also download the PickupMyPeriod app for on the go information wherever you are in Scotland:
If you are unable to access the website or the app, below is an at a glance list of some of the venues currently stocking the free period products. Most venues stock these products in the toilets to avoid the need to ask for them.
- Acorn Centre, Vale of Leven Hospital, Main Street, G83 0UA
- Alexandria Community Centre, Main Street, Alexandria, G83 0NU
- Alexandria Library, Gilmour Street, Alexandria, G83 0DA
- Balloch Library, Carrochan Road, Balloch, G83 8BW
- Benview Centre, 50 Strathleven Place, Dumbarton, G82 1BA
- Centre 81, 2 Braes Avenue, Clydebank, G81 3DP
- Citizens Advice Bureau, 77 Bank Street, Alexandria, G83 0LZ
- Citizens Advice Bureau, Bridgend House, 179 High Street, Dumbarton, G82 1NW
- Citizens Advice Bureau, Social Economy Centre, 63 Kilbowie Road, Clydebank, G81 1BL
- Clydebank Health & Care Centre, Queens Quay, Main Avenue, Clydebank, G81 1BS
- Clydebank Housing Association, 77-83 Kilbowie Road, Clydebank, G811BL
- Clydebank Library, Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 1XH
- Clydebank Town Centre Office, 10 Sylvania Way South, Clydebank, G81 1EA
- Clydebank Leisure Centre, Queens Quay, Aurora Avenue, Clydebank, G81 1BF
- Clydebank Town Hall, Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 1AU
- Concord Centre, St Marys Way, Dumbarton, G82 1LJ
- Cornerstone, Carman Centre, 175 Main Street, Renton, Dumbarton, G82 4PF
- Cutty Sark Centre, Howatshaws Road, Dumbarton, G82 3DR
- Dalmuir Barclay Church Community Pantry, 20 Durban Avenue, Dalmuir, G81 4JH
- Dalmuir Community Centre, Duntocher Road, Dalmuir, G81 3QX
- Dalmuir Early Learning and Childcare Centre, Castle Square, Dalmuir, G81 4HL
- Dalmuir Library, Lennox Place, Dalmuir, G81 4LX
- Debra Charity Shop, Clyde Shopping Centre, 4 Britannia Way, Clydebank, G81 2RZ
- Dumbarton Health Centre, Station Road, Dumbarton, G82 1PW
- Dumbarton Library, Bonhill Road, Dumbarton, G82 1BD
- Duntocher Library, Glenhead CE Centre, Duntiglennan Road, Duntocher, G81 6HF
- Faifley Library, Edinbarnet Campus, Craigpark Street, Clydebank, G81 5BS
- Family Nurse Partnership Team, Hartfield Clinic, Latta Street, Dumbarton, G82 2DS
- Food4Thought, Unit 14a Artizan Shopping Centre, Dumbarton, G82 1LL
- Gordons Chemists, 19 Mitchell Way, Alexandria, G83 0LW
- Haldane Youth Services, Annex Building - Jamestown Primary School, Main Street, Jamestown, Balloch, G83 8PN
- Holm Park Community Football Academy (HPCFA), Dock Street, Clydebank, G81 1LX
- Leven Valley Enterprise Centre, Castlehill Road, Dumbarton G82 5BN
- Mackie Pharmacy, 8 High Street, Dumbarton, G82 1LL
- Meadow Centre, Meadow Road, Dumbarton, G82 2AA
- Morrisons (ask for Sandy), 55 Glasgow Road, Dumbarton, G82 1QZ
- Old Kilpatrick Food Parcel Hub CIC, Unit 5, Nu Skope Industrial Estate, Station Road, Old Kilpatrick, G60 5LP
- Parkhall Library, 42 Hawthorn Street, Clydebank, G81 3HZ
- Skypoint Centre, 96b Lennox Drive, Faifley, Clydebank, G81 5JY
- Street League, Goals, Glasgow West, 2650 Great Western Road, G81 2XT
- The Hub, 405 Kilbowie Road, Clydebank, G81 2TX
- The Tell Organisation Ltd, Tell House, 8/4 Bankend Road, Dumbarton, G82 2RT
- Tullochan Family Centre, 9-11 Poplar Road, Dumbarton, G82 2RD
- Vale Centre for Health, Main Street, Alexandria, G83 0UA
- Vale of Leven Autism and Aspergers Forum (VOLAAF), Station Street, Renton, G82 4NB
- Vale of Leven Swimming Pool, Main Street, Alexandria, G83 0UE
- Vale of Leven Trust, 9 Mitchell Way, Alexandria, G83 0LW
- WDC Church Street, 16 Church St, Dumbarton, G82 1QL
- WD Community Addiction Team, 120 Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 1UG
- WD Community Addiction Team, Joint Hospital, Cardross Road, Dumbarton, G82 5JA
- Ysortit Youth Centre, 5 West Thomson St, Clydebank, G81 3EA
- Ysortit, Bonhill Community Centre, Ladyton, G83 9DZ
If you have any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Working4U manage the community provision of period products in West Dunbartonshire. If you have any questions, or if you wish to provide feedback on this service, please contact us at email@example.com.
Our current supplier has some useful education resources relating to periods for individuals, parents or teachers.