Advice and Support
Our job is to ensure that businesses comply with a wide range of consumer protection laws. If they don't comply they may be committing a criminal offence. If you believe that someone is not complying with consumer protection law, let us know and we can look into it.
The sort of things we can investigate include:
- Product safety - for example unsafe toys, household goods, cars, cosmetics, furniture or electrical goods.
- Fair trading - for example misleading advertising, labelling or prices.
- Weights and measures - such as short measure goods or inaccurate weighing machines.
- Underage sales - such as the sale of cigarettes or fireworks to children.
- Doorstep selling - for example cancellation rights, aggressive practices and scams.
- Animal feeding stuffs and animal health & welfare - for example the records farmers have to keep.
- Safe storage of petroleum, explosives and poisons
If you require consumer advice or would like assistance you may wish to contact our partners at Advice Direct Scotland.