Minutes for Bonhill & Dalmonach Community Council meeting

12th April 2021

Online - Zoom

 

  1. Welcome to all Community Council members and visitors.
  2. Sederunt   
  3. Community Police Report: We no longer have the Community Police therefore will only have representation attending if we have requested. The Police did        provide us with crime reports for the last couple of months and these were briefly discussed.
  4. Apologies: Cllr Bollan
  5. Attendance: Jack Fordy (JF) Chair, Fiona McGeachin (FM), Nancy Malcolm (NM), Agnes Pollock from the Communities Team (AP), Cllr Ian Dickson, Pat McManus (PM), Gloria Hendry (GH), Pauline Larking(PL), Fiona Jenkins (FJ)
  6. Minutes and Matters Arising:
    1. Dalmonach Steps Project - JF had a meeting with Derek Barr. During this meeting it was asked if the roads dept would have any objections to the Dalmonach Steps with regards to Option 6. This was answered that they would have no objection and also hinted at the possibility of some extra funding. The final drafts had been sent out with several options. Option 6 appears to be the most viable and we are awaiting details of funding.
    2. A813 - During the aforementioned meeting, Derek also confirmed that the A813 is in urgent need of upgrading but the proposal is for some time in the future as previously discussed.
    3. Alexandria Town Forum - JF has been trying to ‘hijack’ this forum and improve communication links. The cobbles at “The Laughing Fox” are finally being addressed. JF also looked at Bank Street with a view to pedestrianising the street to avoid the ‘bottleneck’ problem. There are several proposals with the objective being making the town a greener and more pleasant place to be. Traffic calming, making the fountain area more of a plaza, allowing people to circulate more freely. Issues with this would be the buses going through the town. A trial version of this is going to be rolled out.
    4. Dalmonach Community Centre - The handover has been completed and the nursery children will be moving in imminently. NM enquired about the extra traffic around the centre, saying the car park was full and the police had actually been out to deal with it. Cllr Dickson suggested there is an area of grass which could have a road built through it to be used a drop-off point - this will be suggested at a later date.
    5. Litter-picks - Andy Devine had provided the CC with a variety of litter picking materials. JF and Cllr Dickson had discussed setting up a joint litter pick with Beechwood Tenants & Residents group. JF was going to ask for an extra bin at the top of the Dalmonach Steps. A litter pick was organised amongst CC members for Saturday 17th April.
    6. Allotments - JF had begun to fill in an “expression of interest” form but was initially informed that there needs to be 20 members for this. This is to be discussed further. The decision needed to be made as to whether we want land ownership or a long term lease. It was decided a long term lease would be preferable. Cllr Dickson advised on this. AP advised that before we take on a lease, get Greenspace to do a soil survey first. JF suggested we create a sub-committee for this project and this was agreed. A sub-committee was organised - JF, GH, FJ, Cllr Dickson.
  7. Treasurer’s Report:
    Balance in bank - £11027.15
    Outgoings - £0
    Incoming - £750 (in April) from “Paths for All”
  8. A.O.B - Community Empowerment Act - West Dunbartonshire Council are trying to improve participation in the communities in various groups, including the Community Councils. Part of that means they are looking again at our “Scheme of Establishment” which is the document that sets out our areas of responsibility and authority and needs reviewed every so often. JF attended a briefing meeting about this. At this they discussed the areas of Community Councils which threw up a few issues, such as our Community Council being underrepresented by residents in New Bonhill and it would perhaps make more sense to have two separate Community Councils. FM suggested that there is a lack of community feeling in New Bonhill and this could be caused by the lack of use of the Community centre, which is because it is too expensive since it changed hands. AP suggested that using Zoom for the meetings might attract more people who wouldn’t otherwise be able to attend meetings, due to childcare etc.   
  9. Alexandria Town Centre Markets - This is a proposal by the Vale of Leven Trust who are trying to raise footfall in the area. JF wondered if this would take away from the existing shops but overall thought it was a good idea. He asked all other members and it was broadly thought to be a positive action.
  10. Anti-social behaviour - possible reasons for the rise in local anti-social behaviour was discussed, with the subject of too many off-licences coming up. Cllr Dickson explained how the licencing works and it transpires that there is an over-provision policy so we will slowly see a reduction of corner shops being licenced. AP suggested contacting Gillian at “Y-sort it” to see if there are any events or activities planned for the area. JF will follow this up via email.
  11. Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting is scheduled for Monday 10th May at 7pm. This will be held via Zoom.

Minutes for Bonhill & Dalmonach Community Council meeting

11th January 2021

Online - Google Meet

 

  1. Welcome to all Community Council members and visitors.
  2. Sederunt
    Attendance: Jack Fordy (JF) Chair, Gloria Wilson (GW), Fiona McGeachin (FM),
    Pauline Larking (PL), Fiona Jenkins (FJ), Cllr Ian Dickson, Alan McMullan (AM),
    Doug McGeachin (DM), Patricia McManus (PM), Jim O’Donnell (JO’D)
    Apologies: Nancy Malcolm
  3. Community Police Report: Community Police officers appeared to be restricted by Covid duties, so therefore there is no report this month.
  4. Minutes and Matters Arising:
    1. Noticeboards - JF had sourced a supplier of these and got a price but seems far too expensive (£300-500). FM suggested using a local joiner which was deemed to be a good idea. AM gave information about a company he knows of (Griffin Signs) so enquiries will be made. PL suggested asking if anyone would be able to make some noticeboards on the CC Facebook page so this will also be done.
    2. Dalmonach Steps Project - AM is the Environmental Regeneration Manager for West Dunbartonshire Trust. He gave a brief report on this project and showed five different designs for the proposed improvements. He asked that these are studied and feedback is given as to the preferred option. It was decided that the project would be shown on the CC Facebook page, asking the general public for their feedback. JF suggested another option which he had seen locally and will send pictures of this.
    3. Road from Bonhill to Aggreko - Issues with the narrow pavement along the road were discussed and it was agreed that this route is neither safe nor appealing for pedestrians or cyclists. JF relayed that West Dunbartonshire have an improvement plan which Cllr Dickson confirmed but as it stands, the plans are for 2023. Several suggestions were given, regarding ways in which a safer route could be made. Cllr Dickson will speak to relevant people in WDC and report back.
    4. Gritting Paths - Public pathway from Glebe Gardens leading to Bonhill Bridge is incredibly icy whenever there is cold weather, making it almost impassable. This is a well-used route and locals have reported being anxious of falling. JF had attempted to contact WDC about this to no avail. FJ reported that the path had actually been gritted once recently but had not been since. It was noted there is a gritting route on WDC website.
    5. Fly-tipping and Littering - GW has emailed WDC regarding the various fly-tipping in the area but hasn’t had any reply. Lots of fly-tipping behind Dillichip Terrace and in various areas of Bonhill there is a lot of litter visible due to the time of year and the undergrowth having died back. Suggestions from JO’D about raising awareness regarding littering, putting it on the CC Facebook page, with a view to organising a group litter-pick once restrictions are lifted.
    6. Planning on Dillichip Loan - FJ had been approached by John Burleigh who stated he plans to build 17 properties down Dillichip Loan. Cllr Dickson was asked if planning had been applied for this and he stated that no further planning had been. Furthermore, at the last meeting with Mr Burleigh, the Planning Committee had questioned whether there were plans for any sort of large-scale development and had been assured by Mr Burleigh that it was only one property he was planning.
    7. Dalmonach Community Centre - Cllr Dickson was asked for an update and he relayed that it had not been discussed since early December when it was said that the handover would be in January with a view to occupying it in March 2021. No further updates.
  5. Treasurer’s Report: Balance in bank - £11027.15
    Incoming - £2250 donated by “Paths For All”
    Outgoings - £30 donated to “Bonhill Gnomes”
  6. Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting is scheduled for Monday 8th February at 7pm. This will be held via Google Meet.

Minutes for Bonhill & Dalmonach Community Council meeting

8th February 2021

Online - Google Meet

 

  1. Welcome to all Community Council members and visitors.
  2. Sederunt
    Attendance: Jack Fordy (JF) Chair, Gloria Wilson (GW), Fiona McGeachin (FM),
    Fiona Jenkins (FJ), Cllr Ian Dickson, Cllr Jim Bollan, Patricia McManus (PM), Jim O’Donnell (JO’D)
    Apologies: Agnes Pollock, Community Police
  3. Community Police Report: Unable to attend meeting due to other duties, however, PC Gemma Doran reported that she had been investigating the stolen defibrillator from Ladyton shops. Currently looking at all the CCTV footage.
  4. Minutes and Matters Arising:
    1. Road from Bonhill to Aggreko - Cllr Dickson had a meeting regarding Lady’s Gate. General consensus was there were complications around ownership and different heights etc. A813 plans are underway but it will still be 2023 before renovations are completed. Plans are still to cut into hill on other side due to the listed status of the wall. Possible still keep looking into it regarding Lady’s Gate - some residents were spoken to about this and had no objections. JO’D contacted the council regarding scraping back leaves off the pavement to give more space but had no reply. Cllr Dickson said he will look into this. PM questioned the old plans to canalise the river from Dumbarton to Alexandria. Cllr Bollan reported that this is still in the plans (30 year plan) but when it will be acted on is unsure. JF reported that there is actually a (very muddy) path from Hawthorn Place (behind Dillichip Terrace) taking you to Helen Way, with a footbridge over Red Burn. JF now has plans of the area and can see the boundaries and land ownership in these.
    2. Dalmonach Steps Project - Alan McMullan sent amended layouts which JF will email on for everyone to peruse. The plans include a channelled path running along the side of the steps and it would work to have six sets of three small steps. Final costings are still to come through. There was a post about the project put onto Facebook, inviting responses from the public, which have all been positive.
    3. Dillichip Loan Planning - JF contacted Ross Lee from Planning who reported that they had been shown a plan with 22 houses then another plan showing one house which was situated over the “blast site”. The planning permission in principle which Mr Burleigh was granted is time limited so there is not much time left for him in which to act. While talking to Ross, JF organised a meeting regarding the site which used to belong to Bonhill Primary School. JF brought up the question of using the land for allotments and was told that this could be allowed, the site possibly being available to the Community Council for an asset transfer. There would need to be a topographical report carried out for ground quality but no problems are envisaged. GW suggested having a look at the allotments at Alexandria church to get an idea of what could be done. It was agreed there would need to be a separate group assembled for this project due to its scale.
    4. Local litter-pick -Further to last month’s discussion regarding litter-picks, Cllr Dickson said he could acquire hoops and sticks to have on a more permanent basis.
  5. Treasurer’s Report: Balance in bank - £11027.15
    Incoming - £2250 donated by “Paths For All”
    Outgoings - £30 donated to “Bonhill Gnomes”
  6. A.O.B
    Dalmonach Community Centre - Update for this is that the handover is expected to take place in March with the nursery expected to be occupied in April. The community education section of the centre will not be occupied presently due to Covid restrictions.  Bonhill Gnomes - GW asked about the Christmas decorations which had been erected along the river at Dillichip - since the season is over, she wondered when they were going to be taken down. JF had contacted Nicola Norrie about this and she had said she would take them down asap, although nothing has been done since.  Noticeboards - JF received a quote for £90 for two A2 noticeboards with lockable frames and installation which was thought to be reasonable. JF wondered about installing a board at the new community centre and asked the local councillors who he would contact regarding this. Cllr Bollan replied that Michelle Lynn is the Asset Manager and would be the point of contact. Still awaiting a quote from the other company in Erskine (Braveheart). Gritting - Glebe Gardens is still not being gritted and residents have complained. During discussion, it was thought that this is because there is a gritting bin at the top of that road so it wouldn’t be eligible.
  7. Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting is scheduled for Monday 8th March at 7pm. This will be held via Google Meet. (This was postponed and will now be held Monday 11th April via Google Meet.)