Are you in fuel poverty? You are deemed to be "fuel poor" if you spend 10% or more of your income on your household fuel. Fuel Poverty results from a combination of having poor energy efficiency in your home, low income or high fuel costs.
Our Energy Advice Officer can assist with all aspects of fuel poverty, if you have any problems he may be able to help you.
Contact Gary Clark on 01389737302
There are many ways to save energy in your home, saving energy also saves money and reduces carbon dioxide emissions (one of the main greenhouse gases which contributes to climate change).
Here are some cheap and easy energy saving tips:
- Reducing your thermostat by 1°C can cut up to 10% off your heating costs. For a gas heating system, this could work out at a saving of around £55.00 a year.
- Use blankets and extra layers rather than turning up the heating.
- Place foil around the back of your radiators to reflect heat back into rooms.
- Move furniture away from radiators to allow heat to circulate.
- Open curtains and blinds to allow natural light in, but close at night to retain heat.
- Unplug all appliances when not in use, or they will continue to use energy.
- Don't leave things on standby, or save up to £30.00 a year on your electricity bills by using a Standby Saver.
- Only fill the kettle with as much water as you actually need
- Put draught excluders around the doors and windows.
- Draught Proofing could save you around £25.00 a year on your heating bills.
- Installing loft insulation could save around £150.00 a year.
- Replace boilers older than 15 years old. Also, installing a new condensing boiler and controls could save you up to £235.00 a year.
- Use energy saving light bulbs. They last up to 10 times longer than ordinary bulbs and using one can save you around £40.00 over the lifetime of the bulb.
- Installing a hot water cylinder jacket could save you up to £35.00 a year.
- Fit double glazing to reduce heat loss through windows.
- Replacing an inefficient fridge-freezer with an A+ or AA++ rated model can save up to £36.00 a year.