Free nursery/school meals and the footwear and clothing Grant are available for parents on low income in West Dunbartonshire.
The Benefits Section within West Dunbartonshire Council deal with the award of school clothing grants and free school meals, including nursery school meals.
Children in Primary 1 - 3
Remember if a child is in Primary 1-3 they are automatically entitled to a free school meal, no application is necessary. However applications for assistance with clothing grants must still be made.
You are eligible for free nursery/school meals and clothing grant if you receive the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit with an annual income of £7320 or less
- Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
- Pension Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Working Tax Credit with income less than £7920
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
You are eligible for a clothing grant only if you receive:
- Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit
- Working Tax Credit with a gross annual income of £15,860.
You are eligible for free nursery/school meals only if you receive:
- Child Tax Credit ONLY (but not Working Tax Credit) with income less than £16,500.
or young children who are:
- Looked after by the authority concerned or any local authority; or,
- The subject of a kinship care order or a child falling within section 71(3)(f) of the Act (referred to here as a child having a parent appointed guardian).
Clothing Grants will not be paid for children of school leaving age, that is who will be 16 years old between 1 March and 30 September, until they return to school in the new session. However, you should include these children on your application.
The Clothing Grant is currently £100.00 per child.
We will automatically consider you for free nursery/school meals and / or clothing grant if you received one last year and you get Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. If you received a grant last year and you are not in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, we will require you to provide your new tax credit award letter for us to allow us make a decision.
Payment will be made by BACS (directly into your bank account). The first payments should be made in July and you should receive your payment within 2 weeks of your application being processed.
You will need to contact us if:
- you have changed your bank account since your last award - please contact us on 01389 737000 to provide us with your new bank details.
You will need to complete a new application if:
- you live out side the West Dunbartonshire Council area as we will be unable to automatically confirm your entitlement
- you have never applied before
- you have another child starting school.
What we require
- If you currently live within the West Dunbartonshire area and receive Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction, you do not have to provide us with any information. We have the information required and we will write to you when we have assessed your entitlement
- If you live outwith the West Dunbartonshire area or do not receive Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction we will require your Child Benefit award letter and the award letter showing proof of the relevant benefit/tax credit. This information can be posted to or handed in at any of the offices below.
How to apply
- apply online (this should take around 5 minutes)
- telephone 01389 737000
- Download the application form and post or return to:
Housing Benefit Section
Alexandria One Stop Shop
17 Mitchell Way
Clydebank Town Centre Office
10 Sylvania Way South