As of August 2019, the Instrument Hire Charge has been set at £100 per pupil per year covering instrument hire, servicing and repair. A discounted rate will be applied on any second instrument hired by an individual pupil.
Hire charges will NOT apply to pupils who:
- are studying music at SQA level,
- qualify for free school meals,
- have their own instrument.
The approved charge of £100 per annum in West Dunbartonshire will be the second lowest in Scotland, and will be much cheaper in some cases than purchasing a musical instrument which can cost up to £500 depending on the instrument.
Instrumental tuition is available on the following instruments:
- Strings – Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass.
- Brass – Trumpet, Cornet, French Horn, Tenor Horn, Baritone, Euphonium, Trombone, Bass Trombone and Tuba.
- Woodwind – Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone and Bassoon.
- Guitar - Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar and Ukulele (SQA pupils in S4-6 only)
- Percussion - Drum Kit (SQA pupils in S4-6 only)