Even if you are entitled to maximum rebate based on your income, having another adult who is not your partner i.e. a son/daughter or an elderly relative living with you can reduce the amount you receive. These are called non-dependants. 

Depending upon their age and circumstances a deduction may be made from your housing benefit. The rates of these deductions are set by parliament each year.

Below are the current 2016/17 rates for non-dependants based on their age or income: 

Non-dependant Deductions
Non-dependant Deductions




Housing Benefit


In receipt of state Pension Credit



In receipt of main phase ESA(IR)



Not in receipt of main phase ESA(IR)



Aged 25 or over and on IS/JSA(IB) or aged 18 or over and not in remunerative work



Aged 18 or over and in remunerative work



gross income less than £128.00



gross income between £128.00 and £188.00



gross income between £188.00 and £245.00



gross income between £245.00 and £326.00



gross income between £326.00 and £406.00



gross income more than £406.00



Deductions are not made if you, or your partner, are blind or in receipt of the care component of Disability Living or Attendance Allowance regardless of the number of non-dependants in your household or their circumstances.

You must include on your housing benefit claim form everyone living with you. You must tell us straight away if anybody leaves or joins your household or has a change in their financial circumstances.