In June 2013, the UK government will introduce a cap on the total amount of benefit that working age people can receive, The benefit cap is a limit on the total amount of benefit you can get. It applies to most people aged 16 or over who have not reached State Pension age.

This means that the total of your main out-of-work benefits, housing benefit, child benefit and child tax credit will be limited to:

  • £283.71 per week if you are a single adult
  • £423.46 per week if you're in a couple
  • £423.46 per week If you’re a single parent and your children live with you

The cap is most likely to affect you if you get a number of benefits and live in accommodation that has a high rent.  The cap will not affect households that include anyone who receives certain disability benefits.

What can I do?

If you are worried about this, speak to the council's Advice Service or the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Alternatively, if you receive a letter from the DWP, or you want to report a change, it is worth asking Advice Service or the Citizens Advice Bureau to double-check your benefits, especially if you or any of your children have disabilities.