Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be phased out and replaced with Personal Independence Payments (PIP) for 16–64 year-olds

From June 2013

New claims for disability benefits will be for PIP and not for DLA.  You will have to fill in an application form and you will probably have to attend a new medical assessment.

From October 2013

If you are of working age and receiving disability living allowance and you report a change in your condition, you will have to apply for PIP instead. You will also have to apply for PIP if your benefit award is due to be renewed. Please contact the council's Advice Service or your local Citizens' Advice Bureau before you apply for PIP.

Between January 2014 and March 2016

If you are still on DLA, you will be given the opportunity to apply for PIP. If you don't apply, your benefit payment will stop.

Indefinite Awards: If you currently have an indefinite award of DLA, you will still reassessed for PIP (if you are aged16 to 64).

Motability Cars & Passported Benefits: At the moment, we do not know the full extent of the regulations and the full criteria for the new PIP scheme and how it relates to the Motability scheme or passported benefits. Passported benefits include free school meals, leisure and travel passes.

What if I have a Carer?

At present we expect there to be similar rules regarding entitlement to Carer's Allowance under the PIP scheme.

When will I get my reassessment?

We don't yet know how the reassessment process will work or when you will be chosen for your assessment. The Department for Work and Pensions will contact you about this. Further information can be found at www.dwp.gov.uk/pip

What can I do?

You can get more information from the DWP around PIP and what's happening is available online at PIP Information  You can also use the online checker  that uses a claimant's date of birth to work out how and when they might be affected.

You can contact the council's Advice Service or the Citizens Advice Bureau before requesting a reassessment of your disability living allowance.