We issue registrations for the supply and storage of poisons, fireworks and other explosives.


Supply of fireworks outwith restricted time periods

Use of fireworks during night hours


The fee for the supply of fireworks outwith restricted time periods is £500.00 and id payable in advance.

What does the law require?

You need a dispensation from us to use adult fireworks at any time from 23:00 to 07:00 the following day.

However you will not need a dispensation if you use fireworks during one of the following nights:

(i) from 23:00 on the first day of the Chinese New Year and ending at 01:00 the following day;

(i) from 23:00 on 5 November and ending at 24:00 on 5 November;

(i) from 23:00 on the day of Diwali and ending at 01:00 the following day; or

(i) from 23:00 on 31 December and ending at 01:00 the following day.

What do I need to consider?

We can grant a dispensation for the following purposes only:

(i) for the purpose of putting on a fireworks display for the applicant's employer or in
the course of their business; or

(ii) at a national public celebration or a national commemorative event.

We can grant a dispensation to the following person only:

(i) a person employed by, or in business as, a professional organiser or operator of
fireworks displays;

(ii) a person employed by a department of the UK or Scottish Governments; or

(iii) a person employed by the armed forces.

We must be satisfied that there is no (or minimal) risk that the use of the fireworks will
cause death, injury, alarm, distress or anxiety to persons or animals, or damage to property.

How will you deal with my application?

An application must be received by us not later than six weeks prior to the proposed fireworks display.

You will be required to give public notice in a local newspaper no later than seven days before the fireworks display.

If your application is deemed non-contentious, we should be able to grant your licence
without referring the decision to the Licensing Committee. 'Non-contentious' means any application which has not resulted in any objections, or representations of a serious nature, and where is no conflict with council policy. Contentious applications will be determined by the Licensing Board.

We will attach conditions to any licence we grant or renew and we may take action to
ensure that you comply with those conditions.

When will a decision be made?

We aim to make a decision on your application within 42 calendar days. This assumes that your application is not contentious. Your application will take longer to process if it becomes
contentious (for example, if we receive objections or representations) and if that is the case we will keep you informed of the revised timescale.

What happens if you don't make a decision within the target time?

'Tacit authorisation' does not apply because there is an overriding reason relating to the public interest, namely the need to ensure public safety and public health (due to noise).
Therefore if you have still not received a decision after the target time has expired, your authorisation is not granted automatically. In such a situation, we will get in touch with you to let you know what happens next.

Please note that you must not carry on the activity for which you have applied for a licence unless or until you have been granted a licence.

What can I do if I'm not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the way we have processed your application please contact us.

How does the Council handle objections and representations?

Find out more about objections and representations