Alexandria Community Council
Wednesday 16 November 2022
Alexandria Community Centre
Present: Ian Miller (chair), Harry McCormack (minutes), Tilda McCrimmon, Anne-Marie Timmoney, Jan Taylor, Angela Caldwell, Sian Wilkie, Brian Kemsley, Shirley McAlpine, Anne Dickie, Jackie Bain, Alan Hubner (AEH Web), Magda Swider (WDC Regeneration), Stephen Burns (WDC Communities Team)
Apologies: Gordon Kerr, Barbara Barnes, Colin Smith
Alexandria Town Website:
- Alan Hubner of AEH Web is currently working on the development of this site which came from discussions between West Dunbartonshire Council and the former Alexandria Community Action Network (ACAN) group.
- The website is solely based on upcoming projects and plans for the town of Alexandria.
- With Alexandria Community Council now up and running, this website is great opportunity for us to link with West Dunbartonshire Council and Alexandria Traders Association to promote businesses and services in the town.
- Funding streams are available to maintain and develop the site.
- Community Council agree in principle with forward action to be discussed at next meeting in December.
Alexandria Town Centre Update:
- Magda Swider, Interim Lead of WDC Regeneration provided a summary of works and developments.
- The upgrade work and traffic management improvement has partially been completed and roads now cleared of works for the time being after 6 months.
- Further works are expected to begin in Spring 2023 but planned consultation with traders in the area following feedback about businesses being seriously affected by the previous works.
- Historic Lamps have been removed from the Fountain during these works and will not be reinstated. Community Council asked why this was the case and Magda said she would email the relevant department to respond on this. There was disappointment from those present that a consultation on this was never conducted considering the fountain is a landmark in the town.
- The four lamps (2 out of each) have been donated to Vale of Leven Trust and Central Alexandria TRA respectively.
- The Green Corridor Project is continuing at Alexandria Library after recent works with building cleaning and greenspace planning at the rear of the property.
- There are proposals for 70% WDC funding for shop front improvements for all shop properties.
- There are also proposals for further funding within these shop properties but this would be limited to WDC tenants only. Some traders present at the meeting felt that this brings a “feeling of inequality” to the properties that not who are not WDC tenants. The Community Council agreed.
- The Community Council also raised the issue of the differing aspects of what West Dunbartonshire Council look as “priority” in comparison to what the community believes to be.
- On this subject it was raised by the Community Council on the current update of the planned demolition of Mitchell Way which Magda confirmed was to begin “late this year or early next year.”
Previous Minutes – 6.10.22:
- Proposed by Anne Marie Timmoney and seconded by Ian Miller
Election of Treasurer:
- Nomination – Angela Caldwell. Proposed by Tilda McCrimmon and seconded by Ian Miller.
- “Christmas Bazaar” Craft Event hosted by Central Alexandria TRA (CATRA) and Tullichewan TRA. Saturday 3rd December 11am to 3pm at CATRA Hall, Alexander Street, Alexandria. Various stalls, a raffle and free tea and coffee.
- Meeting to be planned to discuss setting up a new bank account for the Community Council.
- This will give access to relevant WDC grants for expenditure such as administration.
- As previously discussed, next meeting will discuss further actions on the Alexandria Town website.
- A Farmer’s Market has been proposed for the traders in the area to promote businesses. Relevant WDC funding is available for the Alexandria Traders Association to arrange soon depending on time constraints.
- A public Open Day for the opportunity for the community to discuss the views and ideas for the town of Alexandria.
- A Planning Day for the Community Council to sit and map out actions.
- Alexandria Community Council currently has two platforms running – a Facebook group which has been running under that name as a template and has over 500 members. A separate Facebook page has been set up currently under the same name.
- Proposal to change the group name as a more public notice board orientated platform with the new page retaining the Community Council name. The main difference with the group and page is the group is more for people to share local organisations, initiatives and businesses relevant to Alexandria while the page is more dedicated to Community Council updates. Community Council agreed.
- Local Recovery, a website described as focussing on community recovery following the Covid Pandemic has been noted as possible resource.
(with no other business, the meeting was closed)
Next meeting: Wednesday 14 December 6.30pm, Alexandria Community Centre.