Alexandria Community Council
Wednesday 17th January 2024
Alexandria Community Centre
Ian Miller (chair), Harry McCormack (minutes), Angela Caldwell, Jan Taylor, Brian Kemsley, Tilda McCrimmon, Stephen Burns (WDC Communities Team), Shirley McAlpine (Vale of Leven Trust), Callum McConnachie (WDC Regeneration – 1st Item only)
Barbara Barnes, Sian Wilkie
Previous Minutes 15.11.23:
- Agreed as accurate. Proposed by Angela Caldwell. Seconded by Brian Kemsley.
Guest speaker – Callum McConnachie, WDC Regeneration
- Callum’s remit is projects within the Alexandria area.
- Focus on supporting Green Heritage Project at Alexander Street and linking up with the walking and cycling network and Alexandria Town Centre.
- Current partnership working and discussions with Vale of Leven Trust and Central Alexandria TRA.
- Consultation period from mid to late February.
- Looking to complete future designs in June/July.
- Callum to provide updates as things progress.
- Ian thanked Callum for his time and highlighted the positive discussion around the table and looking forward.
Election of office bearer 2023/24:
Vice Chairperson – Tilda McCrimmon – proposed by Angela Caldwell and second by Brian Kemsley.
- WDC Local Development Plan: Stephen provided an update. Looking to consult on public views on existing and any new priorities for the area. For the benefit of the LDP’s development, the area covered will be Leven Ward only and not the full Alexandria CC area (which includes part of Lomond Ward). Updates will be provided as things progress which Alexandria CC are happy with.
- Better Buses for Strathclyde: Public campaign to restore bus services to public owned and looking to take the opportunity to speak to Strathclyde Public Transport with new powers within the Transport Act 2019 and use this power to create a similar setup to Great Manchester. Campaign plans for 2024 provided.
- Alexandria Christmas Lights: Correspondence with Councillor Martin Rooney, Leader of WDC on the budget savings effect on the lights in the town. In conclusion, future events would be an option for the Community Council and Alexandria Traders Association to take on – with WDC support. Future discussions will cover the full extent of this.
- Vale of Leven Windfarm Proposal: Balloch and Haldane CC have invited all CCs to a meeting on Thursday 25th January 7pm at the Balloch House Hotel. Developers will be in attendance this meeting. A further public meeting has also been planned for Monday 19th February at St Kessog’s Church Hall, Balloch. A survey is also ongoing and deadline is Friday 1st Tilda and Angela have agreed to attend January meeting.
- Auchencarroch Landfill Site: Update from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) provided report of Barr combating the unpleasant smell of landfill gas over the Christmas period. WDC will no longer be using this site from 19th Update shared by Bonhill & Dalmonach CC.
- Roadwork Issues in Alexandria: Alexandria CC to monitor traffic and road closure management in future works following complaints regarding Tullichewan Roundabout area – A811 up to A82.
- Strathclyde Passenger Transport Regional Bus Strategy: Consultation on review of bus services in the area. Tilda to research more details on this.
- Resilience Funding for Community Councils: £500 available for CCs planning on resilience planning against the impact of bad weather including flooding and heavy snowfall. Deadline Wednesday 31st
- WDC Place Based Investment Fund: Community Grants available for community groups for funding capital projects. Spit into up to £5,000 and £50,000 or more. Tilda to look into possibility of an opportunity to improve public notice boards in the area. Shirley says Vale of Leven Trust happy to assist if needed. Deadline on Tuesday 23rd
- £20,000 for BID grant for Alexandria Traders Association now included in account.
- Excluding this figure, the current balance is £1,077.93p as of 17th January 2024. This includes £30 expenditure to Tullichewan TRA for administration costs.
Alexandria traders association:
- Current discussions on preparing funding application for new outdoor market in Alexandria.
- Looking to include family events etc. to help make the market more of an attraction for the town.
- Surveys ongoing online and paper copies for both traders and the general public.
- Alexandria CC are more than happy to support these plans.
Christie park toilets:
- Angela to action on WDC Greenspace’s formal response on this as no clear answer has yet been provided.
- Works progressing with most of the scaffolding now down with a completion date for February.
- WDC are exploring an application to Transport Scotland to take over the enforcement of parking restrictions in the local authority. This would be done through Decriminalised Parking Enforcement (DPE) via the Road Traffic Act 1991. This would allow WDC to take over responsibility from Police Scotland for enforcement on all parking restrictions and identify a dedicated resource for this activity. Full plans included in update from Liam Greene, WDC Roads and Transportation Manager. Harry to notify WDC of Alexandria CC’s support.
Alexandria ton website:
- Website is progressing well with more local businesses being added to the directory.
- Alexandria Traders Association are happy to support this by notifying of businesses not yet included.
West Dunbartonshire Community Council forum:
- Meeting took place on Wednesday 6th December 2023.
- Issues discussed included communication issues with WDC Chief Officers, WD Community Transport, Sex Education in schools and the upcoming 50th anniversary of community councils in Scotland.
- Next meeting is Wednesday 13th March 7pm with venue announced nearer the time.
- Link-up with Schools: will be discussed next meeting.
- Link-up with Youth Councils and Groups: lengthy discussion on how to bring youth people into CCs. The outdoor market planning is one possible avenue.
- Following meeting dates agreed to continue 6.30pm at Alexandria Community Centre, Area One.
- 28/2/24, 3/4,24, 15/5/24, 26/6/24. Future meetings to be discussed at June meeting.
- Harry to contact WD Leisure to book.
- Alexandria Community Council’s public page on Facebook currently with 211 likes and 344 followers.
- Alexandria CC Notice Board Facebook group membership of 1,888 members.
- Balloch and Haldane Community Council: Ongoing campaign against WDC’s proposal to move Balloch Library into Balloch Primary complex.
Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 28 February 6.30pm, Alexandria Community Centre.