Meeting to be held on Tuesday
8 February 2022
at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Halls

 

1. Previous Minutes/Matters Arising

2. Questions to Councillors/Police

3. Property at 90 High Street

4. WDC Chief Executive retirement

5. Knoxland Square Project Proposal update (Jacqueline Bruce)

6. Treasurer's Report

7. AOB

8. Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 8 March 2022 at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Hall.

AGM Meeting to be held on
Tuesday 8 February 2022
at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Halls

 

The AGM due to be held on January 11, 2022 was cancelled due to the upsurge in the Omicron virus.

 

1. Welcome

2. The Events for the Year 2020-2021

3. Election of Office Bearers

4. The Year Ahead

5. AOCB

6. Date of next meeting:

  • Tuesday 8 March 2022 at 7pm in St Augustine's Hall

This AGM meeting will be followed by our usual monthly meeting.

Dumbarton East & Central Community Council
Meeting held on 8 February 2022
at 7pm in St Augustine's Hall


1. Present:

Jacqueline Bruce

Cllr David McBride

Jim Crosthwaite, Chair

Jane Brown, Vice Chair

Dorothy Heron, Secretary

Mary Hudson, Treasurer


Apologies:

Iain Ellis

Cllr Brian Walker


2. Previous Minute/Matters Arising:

Previous minute of 14 December 2021 was read and approved.

3. Questions to Councillors/Police:

Cllr McBride was asked if signage could be improved at Riverside Lane/RBS junction. There would appear to be confusion under the new Highway Code as to whether this IS a crossing that would require motorists to give priority to pedestrians. Given the new code, perhaps we need to put lights at this point or put a ramp prior to the turn with SLOW signs, and Pedestrian Crossing signs. WDC should look at a suitable option before an accident happens.

Progress, and lack of, the completion of the walkway and illumination of the castle was again discussed but due to the Council deficit, new spending would be unlikely and no progress had been made on the walkway or castle illumination due to ongoing problems with the DFC owners.

90 High Street: This property was discussed as it had been in the past as the owner is keen to find some assistance to allow the property to get essential repairs. West Dunbartonshire Council are unable to help with this as the property is privately owned but it was said that the organisation "Under One Roof" could give advise on this. They deal with tenants/owners and will be able to give advice/information.

Consultation for the Artizan: No representation has been made to the Community Council for any consultation.

Vermin: Jane reported that rates had been prevalent at the rear of the flats in Castlegreen Street near the railway bridge. Dunbritton Housing Association should be responsible for dealing with this.

Fire Alarms: The new fire alarm law which takes effect this month was discussed.

Police report received from PC Martin McKenna giving a report on crimes committed in this area up to this week.

 

Community Council Report:

Name of Community Council: - Dumbarton East & Central
Date of Report: - 05/02/2022

Submitting / Attending officer: - PC Martin McKenna
Crimes/Offences that have occurred in community area since last meeting.

Police Report covering the period 01/01/2022 - 05/02/2022
There were 46 reported crimes.

The Crimes can be summarised as follows;

- Wilful fire-raising 2 (1 Detected 1 enquiries ongoing)

- Common Assault 5 (1 Detected 4 enquiries ongoing)

- Theft by Shoplifting 8 (8 Enquiries ongoing)

- Theft (Unclassified)

- 7 (1 undetected 6 enquiries ongoing)

- Possess Drugs 1 (1 Detected)

- Possess With Intent to Supply 0 (Detected?)

- Breach of the Peace/Disorder 8 (8 Detected)

- Vandalism 3 (3 enquiries ongoing)

- Vehicle/traffic Crime 3 (3 enquiries ongoing)

- Fraud 1 (1 Enquiries ongoing)

- Breach of Bail 2 (2 Detected)

Other

- 6 (2 Detected 4 enquiries ongoing)

The above excludes fixed penalty notices issued in respect of anti-social behaviour, non-endorsable and endorsable offences (Road Traffic).


Contact Us

I would urge the community to continue to use Crime - stoppers if wishing to leave anonymous information regarding incidents which are happening within the community. The telephone phone number is 0800 555 111 and is operated 24hrs a day.

It should be noted that due to a recent restructure within Argyll & West Dunbartonshire Division we no longer have a dedicated Community Policing Officer for your area. Information contained on this form has been gathered by an officer from the Community Engagement Team. Any issues raised at the meeting will be disseminated to either Local Policing or Problem Solving Team officers.

If you wish to contact us direct with any specific complaints or concerns, please contact the following based at Dumbarton Police Office;

Community Engagement Team Sergeant - Brian Simpson

  • Tel: 101

4. WDC Chief Executive Retirement:

Joyce White, Chief Executive of West Dunbartonshire, will be retiring in May.

The post has been advertised for a replacement.

5. Knoxland Square:

Jaxx gave an update on this. Andy Devine had said three planters will be set in the middle of the square. Pavement work etc will be carried out and Jaxx will arrange for plants and other necessary equipment to be purchased. Local shops in the area are keen to be involved in this project. Funding options will be looked at for the revamped green corridor from Dumbarton East Station down to the castle. Cllr McBride suggested CVS could assist with this. Dorothy will contact David Campbell.

6. Proposed Community Council Boundary Changes:

Should the proposed boundary changes take place, this Community Council will lose two of its members as they reside in the area which will be taken over. Tentative enquiries will be made with the Silverton & Overtoun Community Council to see what their views are on this. As has been suggested in the past, it could be possible if all agreed that the two CCs merge but many discussions would have to take place on this and WDC would firstly have to say if this is possible.

7. Treasurer's Report:

Mary reported there is £2069.90 in the bank and petty cash of £48.34p.

8. AOB:

Jaxx asked the policy re not considering the knock on effect when WDC does not have a planning policy but follow the Planning Law. A Local Development Plan is available and Dorothy will arrange to obtain one.

Date of next meeting:

  • Tuesday 8 March 2022 at 7pm
  • St Augustine's Church Hall

Meeting to be held on Tuesday
8 March 2022
at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Halls

 

1. Previous Minutes/Matters Arising

2. Questions to Councillors/Police

3. Knoxland Square Project

4. Community Council Boundary Changes

5. Treasurer's Report

6. AOB

7. Next Meeting:

  • The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 12 April 2022 at 7pm
  • St Augustine's Church Hall

Community Council Report

 

Name of Community Council: - Dumbarton East & Central

Date of Report: - 04/03/2022

Submitting / Attending officer: - PC Martin McKenna

Crimes/Offences that have occurred in community area since last meeting Police Report covering the period 05/02/22 - 28/02/22 inclusive.

There were 33 recorded crimes.

The crimes can be summarised as follows;

- Common Assault 2 (1 Detected 1 Enquiries ongoing)

- Theft by Housebreaking - Commercial 1 (1 Enquiries ongoing)

- Theft by Shoplifting 9 (3 Detected 6 Enquiries ongoing)

- Theft (Unclassified) 3 (3 Enquiries ongoing)

- Possess Drugs 2 (2 Detected)

- Possess With Intent to Supply 1 (1 Detected)

- Breach of the Peace/Disorder 5 (4 Detected 1 Enquiries ongoing)

- Vandalism 4 (1 Detected 3 Enquiries ongoing)

- Vehicle/traffic Crime 5 (3 Detected 2 Enquiries ongoing)

- Other 1 (1 Enquiries ongoing)

The above excludes fixed penalty notices issued in respect of anti-social behaviour, non-endorsable and endorsable offences (Road Traffic).

  • Updates on previous actions
  • Incidents of note or crime trends
  • Forthcoming events / Initiatives
  • This month - Issues raised at the meeting

Contact Us

I would urge the community to continue to use Crime stoppers if wishing to leave anonymous information regarding incidents which are happening within the community. The telephone phone number is 0800 555 111 and is operated 24hrs a day.

It should be noted that due to a recent restructure within Argyll & West Dunbartonshire Division we no longer have a dedicated Community Policing Officer for your area.

Information contained on this form has been gathered by an officer from the Community Engagement Team. Any issues raised at the meeting will be disseminated to either Local Policing or Problem Solving Team officers.

If you wish to contact us direct with any specific complaints or concerns, please contact the following based at Dumbarton Police Office;

Community Engagement Team Sergeant - Brian Simpson

Tel: 101

Dumbarton East & Central Community Council
Meeting held on 8 March 2022
at 7pm in St Augustine's Hall


1. Present:

Jacqueline Bruce
Iain Ellis
Jim Crosthwaite, Chair
Dorothy Heron, Secretary
Mary Hudson, Treasurer

Cllr Karen Conaghan
Cllr Brian Walker

Apologies:

Jane Brown, Vice Chair
Cllr David McBride


2. Previous Minute/Matters Arising:

Previous minute of 8 February 2022 was read and approved.

3. Questions to Councillors/Police:

Cllr Conaghan will enquire about the possibility of police attending the Community Council meetings although we are aware of the changes which have taken place in Community Policing.

Police reports have been submitted to the Comm Council for discussion but it would be useful to be able to question the issues raised.

The crossing at the High Street/Royal Bank leading down to the quay was discussed and it was suggested that, in light of the recent legislation giving pedestrians right of way at corner crossings, it could be made more obvious for drivers that pedestrians have the right of way to cross. It was noted that this particular crossing is not covered in the legislation but as there have been some incidents at this corner the new legislation is ambiguous.

No new information received re parking on pavements.

There was discussion on the options to be discussed by WDC at the Budget Meeting tomorrow. The Council need to save over £5million. Iain asked if the Children's Park in Highmains could be looked as it is the only park in which no form of upgrade has taken place.

Dog Wardens: Could the dog wardens check Highmains Avenue/Geils Avenue as the amount of dog mess would appear to be on the increase in the area.

The pontoon in the River Leven has been reported as unsightly. Cllr Conaghan will seek information from the Roads Manager who may be the Harbourmaster and ask what can be done about this.

4. Knoxland Square Project:

Davina Lavery was unable to attend this meeting but perhaps will attend another meeting to advise on this project. This item continued until the next meeting.

Jaxx has arranged for flyers to be delivered in the area with information about this project.

5. Treasurer's Report:

Mary reported there is £2069.90 in the bank and £48.34 in petty cash.

6. AOB:

Community Council Forum: There has been no information re Forum meetings recently. Dorothy will contact Jack Fordy to see if he has any knowledge of future meetings.

It was agreed that this Community Council and Silverton and Overtoun Community Council will send a copy of meeting minutes to each other to enable each Council to be aware of issues being discussed.

A proposed boundary change would mean that DECCC could lose two members which would mean this Community Council would find it difficult to carry on. A meeting between the two Community Councils is being arranged for discussion.

7. Date of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 12 April 2022 in
St Augustine's Church Hall at 7pm.

Meeting to be held on Tuesday
12 April 2022
at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Halls

 

1. Previous Minutes/Matters Arising

2. Questions to Councillors/Police

3. Knoxland Square Project .

4. Community Council Boundary Changes: Update

5. Treasurer's Report

6. AOB : Costa appeal

7. Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 10 May 2022 at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Hall.

Dumbarton East & Central Community Council

Meeting held on 12 April 2022

at 7pm in St Augustine's Hall

 

 1. Present:

Jacqueline Bruce

Maureen Duffy

Jane McIntyre, Social Enterprise Lodestone Creative

Jim Crosthwaite, Chair

Dorothy Heron, Secretary

Mary Hudson, Treasurer

Cllr Brian Walker

Apologies            

Cllr David McBride

Iain Ellis

2. Previous Minute/Matters Arising

Minute of 8 March was read and approved.

Dorothy had contacted Jack Fordy re the Community Council Forum meetings.  Jack is no longer secretary of the Forum and at the moment no future meeting has been set.

- Highmains Park:  Money for this will be in the five year plan.

- Pontoon in River Leven:  Jim Crosthwaite had noticed someone cleaning the pontoon beside the wall to spruce it up.

It is still unknown who the Harbourmaster is.  Cllr Conaghan was seeking information on this.

3. Questions to Councillors/Police

-

4. Knoxland Square Project

Jaxx said Andy Devine will be meeting with Community Payback re planters etc. 

The next stages will need to be looked at soon and this will include benches.  Network Rail had been contacted by Jaxx and the purse strings were discussed. 

As always finance is an issue.  Network Rail would be happy to have their name included in any funding applications Sustrans have also been contacted. 

Jaxx will have a discussion with Davina Lavery tomorrow.

The usual pigeon problem was also discussed with Jaxx. To date the netting at Dumbarton East Station has not been replaced, nor has an alternative method been identified.

In terms of the green corridor, traffic calming in some form could be looked at.

5. Treasurer's Report

Mary reported there is;

  • £1933.64 in the bank and £48.34 in petty cash.

6. Community Council Boundary Changes

 Dorothy has submitted the Community Councilj's objection to the change of the boundary proposal.  No further information has been received.

A meeting with both Community Councils and WDC personnel had been held on 15 March when discussions had taken place.

7. AOB

Jaxx stated that at 133 High Street water is flowing out over the pavement at risk to pedestrians. WDC has been approached about this and Jaxx has tried to find out who the owner is.

Scottish Water had been contacted but claimed they could not enter the building. Since the newspapers became aware of this story WDC has said they will look into this situation and enforce the issue. Apparently a factor has been assigned to the property.

Maureen Duffy claimed that on Wallace Street, near the butchers, a drain has become blocked again.  This has also been a problem on the other side of Glasgow Road.  Also potholes are a problem in Victoria Street due to the excess traffic going down Castle Road and the usual wear and tear.

Although there had been a suggestion of the area having a traffic warden, nothing further has been heard of this. Parking on dropped kerbs in Wallace Street and reporting to police and Council has not been productive. The dropped kerbs are for the use of pedestrians and prams/pushchairs and it is unfortunate to see that drivers think it appropriate to cover these crossing areas.

- Costa appeal:  outcome unknown at present.

Jane from Social Enterprise Lodestone Creative was welcomed to the meeting.  Jane had done a survey of the premises in the area and how best to support the businesses. Shop owners have been contacted and discussions have taken place to find out the best way to highlight the area of Dumbarton East. Dorothy will send out the list of businesses Jane has noted.  The Council is supporting of conducting a feasibility study. There will be summer activities in Dumbarton East and a list of ideas in the outline plan is attached.

8. Next Meeting

  • The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 10 May 2022 at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Hall

Meeting to be held on Tuesday

10 May 2022

 at 7pm  in St Augustine's Church Halls

 

1. Previous Minutes/Matters Arising

2. Questions to Councillors/Police   

3. Knoxland Square Project   

5. Treasurer's Report

6. AOB

7. Next Meeting:    

  • The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 14 June 2022 at 7pm in St Augustine's Church Hall