Sheltered Housing Forum,

4 August 2022 at Melfort Avenue, Clydebank

In attendance 

James O’Driscoll ( Mill Road)
Angus Ferguson (Mill Road)
Myra Johnstone ( Mill road)
Margaret Whitten ( Hogan Court)
Cathy Martin (Young Street)
Jean Massie ( Melfort Avenue)
Margaret Stevenson ( Melfort Avenue)
Jane Mack (Tenant Participation Officer)
Natalie Clark (HSCP).

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from Lee Bell

Ice breaker – positive news

 Members were asked to share a piece of good news or something new that they had done in the last couple of months.

Updates from last meeting

  • Jane has reported to Waste Services that blue bin at 205 Mill Road not being emptied and Angus confirmed that it still hasn’t. Natalie confirmed that all Sheltered Housing should be on pull-out service and other complexes are so Jane to raise again with waste services.  Action - Phoned and reported 9/9/22.
  • Site visit taken place to inspect the security doors at Mill Road and hopeful that they can be replaced or adapted so that they open automatically.
  • Jane been unable to pin any other section to take responsibility for dealing with the owner built wall at 16 Millbrae Crescent – planning have confirmed doesn’t need planning permission and is along their boundary. Jane still pursuing Roads to see about getting kerb dropped but nothing positive. Jane suggested contacting local councillors to see if they can add pressure.
  • Handrails at 29 Melfort been painted.
  • Jane has reported pavement along Melfort Avenue to the commonroom to Roads and Margaret confirmed that officers were out previous day inspecting.
  • Gutters at 51 Melfort Avenue have been done.

Update from HSCP – Natalie Clark

 Nothing specific to update on but Natalie confirmed that she and Lee will make contact with Housing Officers once they are back to having specific housing officers for each complex to build new relationships and reintroduce surgeries and walkabouts were needed.

Tenant Participation update – Jane Mack

 Jane confirmed she will share with the Forum housing updates and consultations but if you use Facebook, can also follow tenant participation page. Also have tenant participation pages on the Council’s website if you looking for info or contact details. You can also report repairs on the council’s website anytime or phone them in.

The next edition of the Housing News will be out in September.

West Dunbartonshire community transport provide help to anyone having trouble getting to doctor or hospital appointments. Their vetted, volunteer drivers collect you from home , take you to your appointment , wait and then take you home – free service – call 07990 825754 or wdctag@gmail.com. Some wardens have already included info in newsletters and Natalie will get included in others.

Tenant Priority Budget –open to any tenant to put forward a proposal for an improvement. There is criteria that the improvement needs to meet – can’t be a repair that Housing Services are already responsible for, needs to be on Housing land or property - Jane and colleague Hanne can help with the application form. Many sheltered complexes have already benefitted – Mill road, Willox Park. 

Any other business

  • Myra raised issue of storm damage at 207 Mill Road when roof being renewed and insurance claim been refused. Also insulation got wet and should be replaced but hasn’t – Jane to contact Capital programme team and get assistance for Myra.
  • Slabs at back garden area of Hogan Court are uneven and been 3 falls – Jane to contact Building Services Officer and ask for them to be inspected.
  • Hogan Court would also like a walkabout arranged once Housing Officer is in place – Natalie contacting all HOs and will arrange walkabouts where wanted.
  • Mill Road want another raised bed, marble-effect on side bits of stairs in all 4 blocks painted over to match new flooring and a living Christmas tree and electricity supply – Jane to help with Tenant priority budget applications and chase up outstanding security light for greenhouse that been previously agreed. Fencing options also to be looked at – Jane going to visit after meeting.
  • When Greenspace cutting the grass at back of Melfort Avenue they’re not taking away the loose grass and it leaves the paths and steps slippy –Jane to raise again with Greenspace.
  • Surrounding houses been using the carpark at Mill Road but agreed to hold off any action until the fibre work finished as that been disrupting whole street.
  • Margaret raised concerns about dog fouling in the community park across from Melfort Avenue – particularly from dog walkers. Margaret advised to contact ASB team with descriptions and times and they can monitor and issue fines.
  • Down pipe dislocated and low airbrick at 207 Mill Road causing water penetration – Jane to report to repairs. Action - reported.

Date and venue of next meeting

  • Tuesday 25 October, 2PM at Mill Road sheltered complex

Sheltered Housing Forum

2 June 2022 at Young Street, Clydebank

 

In attendance 

James O’Driscoll ( Mill Road)
Angus Ferguson (Mill Road)
Cathy Martin (Young Street)
Margaret Stevenson ( Melfort Avenue)
Jane Mack (Tenant Participation Officer)
Lee Bell (HSCP).

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from Margaret Whitten, Jean Massie, and John Redpath.

Ice breaker – positive news

 Members were asked to share a piece of good news or something new that they had done in the last couple of years.

Update from Jane Mack ( Tenant Participation)

Following local elections on 5 May and new set of Councilors been voted in – some are new and some been re-elected. Contact information on all the Councilors will be in the next edition of the Housing News -they are elected to represent their constituents so can be useful to contact if you aren’t getting anywhere through normal channels like repairs or your Housing Officer.

The next edition of the Housing News will be out on 22 June and gets delivered to your home. If you ever have a story you want included in the HN or you think there is something that we should include please get in touch with Jane.

Tenant Priority Budget – this is a budget open to any tenant who can put forward a proposal for an improvement. There is criteria that the improvement needs to meet – can’t be a repair that Housing Services ae already responsible for, needs to be on Housing land or property but Jane and colleague Hanne can help with the application form. Many sheltered complexes have benefitted – Mill road were the first and got a greenhouse which means they can grow things from seed which is much cheaper. Willox Park have also benefited from some raised planters with seating and also more recently a patio area that’s also going to get some 

seating and planters. So if there is something you’ve always thought would be a good idea for your complex , contact Jane to see if the Tenant Priority Budget can help.

Cycling without Age – spoken about this before a few years ago when we were at Gray Street. Not through own job but as a volunteer and Friend of Levengrove Park Jane has recently secured funding for 2 trishaws and they will hopefully be set up, trained and able to offer rides from August / September and hopefully this will be used by all the sheltered complexes. Is in Levengrove park but folk from Clydebank can still come along – it’s a lovely park with views over the water.

Also seen an advert for a series of free well-being workshops on offer at Clyde Shopmobility in Clydebank Shopping Centre. The monthly sessions run by professional therapists, are designed to help overcome anxiety, stress, isolation and loneliness. They run from 10.30am – 12.30pm on Fridays, and the next ones are on June 17, July 15 and August 12, a light lunch is available afterwards. To book a place call 07515 962066 or 07967 152675 or pop into Clyde Shopmobility at 30 Sylvania Way, Clydebank Shopping Centre.

Future meetings – format and frequency

Was agreed that smaller meetings were more reassuring for people but eventually members would be keen to have full meetings with all complexes. Since todays meetings was more a catch up agreed to meet again in 2 months’ time.

Any other business

A number of individual issues were raised for Jane to forward onto repairs and waste services.

  • Blue bin at 205 Mill Road not been emptied ( waste services)
  • Security doors at Mill Road too heavy for many tenants and means they can’t go out unaccompanied – also makes it harder for Lee to allocate the flats.(Housing)
  • Neighbouring owner built a wall across the pavement restricting easy access to the common room for those in 15 Millbrae Crescent.( Planning ?)
  • Handrails front and back of 29 Melfort need repainted.(Housing)
  • Pavement along Melfort Avenue to the commonroom very uneven and difficult to walk on or push a wheelchair along.(Roads)
  • Gutters of 51 Melfort Avenue been missed and very overgrown( Housing)

Date and venue of next meeting

  • Thursday 4 August, 2022, 2PM at Melfort Avenue sheltered complex

Sheltered Housing Forum 9 August 2022 at Manse Gardens, Alexandria

 

Attendance:

Cathy Duncan ( Manse Gardens)
Theresa Hollywood ( Manse Gardens)
Etta King (Gray Street)
Mary Paton (Willox Park)
Anne McDonald (Willox Park)
Grace Mc Callmont ( Manse Gardens )
Jane Mack (Tenant Participation Officer)

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from May Hollywood (Gray Street), Ruth Dickinson (Willox Park) and Natalie Clark (HSCP) and Jane welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Ice breaker – positive news

Members were asked to introduce themselves and share a piece of good news or something new that they had done in the last couple of months.

Updates from last meeting

  • Complaint about tenants drinking in public within Willox Park Sheltered Housing still a problem –Jane to flag to Natalie. - To be actioned by Natalie
  • Housing Officers are due to go back to working in specific areas by end of September so each complex will have a named housing officer again. Once their details have been confirmed will be shared with Lee and Natalie so that contact info can be put on noticeboards. Natalie also said at Clydebank Forum meeting that they will be rebuilding relationships with Housing Officers and arrange walkabouts and HO surgeries where wanted. To be actioned by Jane/Lee/Natalie
  • Planters at Gray street were weeded over Leamy Foundation – not been replanted as they didn’t have any spare plants – Jane to see if they have any now.  To be actioned by Jane.

Tenant Participation update – Jane Mack

 Jane confirmed she will share with the Forum housing updates and consultations but if you use Facebook, can 

also follow tenant participation page. Also have tenant participation pages on the Council’s website if looking for info or contact details. You can also report repairs on the council’s website anytime or phone them in.

The next edition of the Housing News will be out in September.

West Dunbartonshire community transport provide help to anyone having trouble getting to doctor or hospital appointments. Their vetted, volunteer drivers collect you from home , take you to your appointment , wait and then take you home – free service – call 07990 825754 or wdctag@gmail.com. Some wardens have already included info in newsletters and Natalie will get included in others. To be actioned by Natalie

Tenant Priority Budget –open to any tenant to put forward a proposal for an improvement. There is criteria that the improvement needs to meet – can’t be a repair that Housing Services are already responsible for, needs to be on Housing land or property - Jane and colleague Hanne can help with the application form. Many sheltered complexes have already benefitted – Mill road, Willox Park.

Any other business

  • Can a stair lift be fitted in Manse Gardens to help people get up to the second floor – Jane to check with Natalie/ Lee if this been looked at before. To be actioned by Jane/Natalie
  • Etta keen to apply to Tenant Priority Budget and warden happy to help her with form – Jane to send Maureen Smith the link to the form. To be actioned by Jane
  • Ceiling of livingroom at 1/17 Gray Street been left with a hole where old smoke alarm removed and new one fitted – Jane to report to Repairs.  To be actioned by Jane
  • Discussion about funding – what does service charges cover – Jane to ask. Also previous discussion about where old funding from ( EU ?) – Jane to check back. To be actioned by Jane
  • Manse Gardens keen to make application to Tenant Priority Budget for a smokers ‘shed’ to make more sociable – Jane to help with form but need to suss out what is currently getting slabbed to know where best place to position it.  To be actioned by Jane
  • Landing window sills on first floor both warped and letting in water – Jane to report to Repairs. To be actioned by Jane
  • Exit ramp at Manse Gardens been widened but handrail not been replaced – Jane to report to Repairs.  To be actioned by Jane

Date and venue of next meeting

  • Thursday 3 November, 2pm at Willox Park Sheltered Housing

Sheltered Housing Forum 7 June 2022 at Gray Street, Alexandria

 

Attendance:

Etta King (Gray Street)
May Hollywood (Gray Street)
Mary Paton (Willox Park)
Ruth Dickinson (Willox Park)
Jane Mack (Tenant Participation Officer) 
Natalie Clark (HSCP)

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Apologies received from Cathy Duncan (Manse Gardens) and Theresa Connolly (Westbridgend).

Ice breaker – positive news

 Members were asked to share a piece of good news or something new that they had done in the last couple of years.

Update from Jane Mack (Tenant Participation)

Following local elections on 5 May and new set of Councilors been voted in – some are new and some been re-elected. Contact information on all the Councilors will be in the next edition of the Housing News -they are elected to represent their constituents so can be useful to contact if you aren’t getting anywhere through normal channels like repairs or your Housing Officer.

The next edition of the Housing News will be out on 22 June and gets delivered to your home. If you ever have a story you want included in the Housing News or you think there is something that we should include please get in touch with Jane.

Tenant Priority Budget – is a budget open to any tenant who can put forward a proposal for an improvement. There is criteria that the improvement needs to meet – can’t be a repair that Housing Services are already responsible for, needs to be on Housing land or property but Jane and colleague Hanne can help with the application form. Many sheltered complexes have benefitted – Mill road were the first and got a greenhouse which means they can grow things from seed which is much cheaper. Willox Park have 

also benefited from some raised planters with seating and also more recently a patio area that’s also going to get some seating and planters. So if there is something you’ve always thought would be a good idea for your complex, contact Jane to see if the Tenant Priority Budget can help.

Cycling without Age – spoken about this before a few years ago when we were at Gray Street. Not through own job but as a volunteer and Friend of Levengrove Park Jane has recently secured funding for 2 trishaws and they will hopefully be set up, trained and able to offer rides from August / September and hopefully this will be used by all the sheltered complexes.

Future meetings – format and frequency

 Discussed the format of meetings - agreed is a good opportunity for tenants to share experiences across the different complexes.

Previously forum meetings were held every 3 months. It was agreed that since this just an introductory meeting would meet again in 2 months’ time.

Any other business

  • Complaint raised about tenants drinking in public within Willox Park Sheltered Housing – Natalie to speak to warden and tenants can also call police if ever concerned. To be actioned by Natalie
  • Currently housing officers working differently to catch up on backlog but should be back to having specific housing officers again come September and can get surgeries restarted if tenants want.
  • Planters at Gray street were previously managed by tenants however no one currently able to do so. Suggestion that local Leamy foundation could be asked to help sort the planters so that potentially a gardening club within the complex could be set up to maintain them. To be actioned by Jane
  • Concerns that wardens not always being in the complexes raised. Was confirmed that it is part of their role to respond to calls and emergencies within the community. At any time if a tenant had a problem or concern they should press their community alarm for assistance.

Date and venue of next meeting

  • Tuesday 9 of August at 2pm at Manse Gardens Sheltered Housing