I want my child to attend nursery during school term time; 8.45 - 2.45 to fit with my other children's school attendance pattern. Is this possible?

There are a number of options for this in each community across West Dunbartonshire.

Can I choose a private nursery?

Yes if they are in Partnership with West Dunbartonshire Council.

I want my child to be able to access their early learning and childcare 50 weeks a year. Can I do this?

There are a number of options for this in each community. The places can be morning or afternoon or full days in a private funded provider.

I want my child to have full days as this will fit with my work pattern. Is this possible?

Yes. Choose a funded partner provider. There are a number of options for this in each community.

I am looking to find a childminder to provide part of my child's entitlement. How do I get in contact with one?

We have a list of childminders available on our website. To deliver 1140 hours early learning and childcare childminders must work in partnership with West Dunbartonshire Council.

Can I choose for my child to access 1140 hours at childminder and a nursery?

You can choose from a childminder who works in partnership with the Council to deliver 1140 hours of early learning and childcare. They can provide a blended model with any nursery; they will be more than happy to discuss your needs with you.

I want my child to access their early learning and childcare in more than one nursery setting. Can I do this?

Yes, this will allow you to split your allocation, for example 15 hours at two funded providers. This is subject to a place being available and partnership arrangements being in place with the local authority

How do I register my child for a nursery place?

To register your child for a nursery place you must complete an application form. You must identify your first, second and third choice early learning and childcare centre on the application form.

How are nursery places allocated?

West Dunbartonshire use an admissions process to allocate all applications. This includes a priority criteria. An admissions panel consisting of Education Support Officers, Principal Officers, Head Teachers, Social Work Officers and health Visitors meet frequently to ensure applications are processed fairly and in line with the admissions criteria.

When should I register my three year old child for their funded early learning and childcare place?

You can apply for an early learning and childcare place from when your child is born. Applications must be received before the end of March prior to your child turning three. Applications received after the end of March are considered to be late applications.

I have applied for a nursery place for my 3 year old child. When will I find out if the application has been successful?

You will hear about your application by the end of the May prior to your child turning 3.

My child is two, are they entitled to a funded nursery place?

The information for eligible 2 year olds can be found on our web page, Early Learning and Childcare for eligible two year olds.

I am a care experienced adult with a 2 year old child. Am I entitled to a two year old nursery place for my child?

Yes. Your child is entitled to 1140 hours of funded early learning and childcare from their second birthday.

I am a kinship carer for my 2 year old grandchild. Will I be entitled to access funded hours?

Yes, you will be entitled to access 1140 hours of early learning and childcare from their second birthday.

We have recently moved to a different community within West Dunbartonshire Council. My child already attends a nursery but I would like to move her to a nursery closer to our new home. How do I do this?

Contact the Principal Officer or Head Teacher of the nursery your child currently attends. They will support you in ensuring your child's application is transferred to a nursery within your new community. They will also support your child's transition to their new nursery or childminder.

I have not been allocated my first choice of nursery place for my child. Why is that?

Nursery places are allocated within local community areas. All applications are processed using West Dunbartonshire Councils admissions criteria. All funded providers are registered by the Care Inspectorate for different numbers of registered places. West Dunbartonshire will endeavour to accommodate requests wherever possible however sometimes this is not possible due to demand for some early years centres. That is why it is important to provide your first, second and third choice of nursery.

My child got offered our second choice of nursery for their 3 year old entitlement of 1140 hours. Can my child be considered for our first choice of nursery when she turns 4?

Yes, your child's application can remain with your first choice nursery for their second year of nursery. The admissions criteria will be applied however places cannot be guaranteed.

I am moving into West Dunbartonshire from a different country within the UK. My child is 3 and currently attends nursery. Will he get a nursery place in West Dunbartonshire?

Yes they will be entitled to a funded place within their local community. Information on how to apply can be found on this website.

How are the needs of Armed Forces Families supported?

We follow national guidance agreed by the Scottish Government. This includes consideration of the specific needs of our Armed Forces families and we recognise that children may need additional support during transitions. This is subject to a place being available and partnership arrangements being in place.