We provide information on how to appeal if you disagree with our decision about your child’s additional support needs.

You can disagree with our decision about your child's needs. We advise that at first you talk to staff at your child's school or from the Educational Services department.

If you cannot reach an agreement then you have three alternatives to dealing with concerns or disagreements. The type of concern or disagreement will affect which of these alternatives you should use.


Mediation is a voluntary process when an independent person, or mediator, works with the people involved in a dispute to get an agreement.

During mediation all people have the chance to talk about their concerns about your child's education and needs. This approach needs you to openly discuss your concerns about your child's education. Mediation aims to reach an agreement on the best plan for your child.

Mediation is available for all disagreements.

A parent's guide is available under Related Links section.

Dispute resolution

Dispute Resolution is a formal review of a disagreement by an independent expert (adjudicator). The adjudicator will look at information provided by both sides.

To request Dispute Resolution you must write to Educational Services asking for the dispute to be referred. More information is available by downloading our Dispute Resolution leaflet.

Disagreements about your child may be about:

  • the assessment of additional support need
  • the level of provision needed or being given to meet additional support needs
  • support needed from another agencies, e.g. Health, Social Work Services
  • implementation of the requirements of the coordinated support plan.

Dispute resolution does not cover matters which can be taken through other statutory review routes, such as the National Tribunal System or local authority Appeals Committees.

This means it does not cover:

  • refusal of a placing request under Schedule 2 of the Act
  • issues relating to broader, strategy or policy matters
  • allegations of misconduct
  • personal disputes between parents and a member of staff at the school or education authority
  • concerns regarding the education of a child who does not have additional support needs.

A parent's guide is available under Related Links section.


The Additional Support Needs Tribunal for Scotland will hear and decide your appeal against our decisions about your child's Coordinated Support Plan.

A parent's guide is available under Related Links section.

Or, you can see more information about tribunals on ASN Tribunal for Scotland.

Let's Talk ASN is a free advice service which gives support to parents who a dispute or potential dispute with an education authority. More information and contact information are available from the Let's Talk ASN leaflet.

More information

For more information about these alternatives contact Shona Crawford 01389 800491.

Resolve Mediation Service

The Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004/09 includes a requirement for education authorities to have in place arrangements for mediation, involving independent mediators, to aim to resolve disputes between parents and carers and the authority and/or school, regarding a child or young person who has additional support needs. 

West Dunbartonshire Council’s independent mediation provider is Resolve Mediation Service. You can find out more about the service and mediation here

Website:  https://resolvemediation.org.uk/  

Phone: 07955 788967

Email:  resolve@childreninscotland.

 Good communication among parents and carers, schools and West Dunbartonshire Education Services is key to positive relationships and partnerships.