Skip to content

Marriages and Civil Partnerships

No more than 50 people to attend a marriage or civil partnership ceremony.  Venues must also continue to be able to safely accommodate those attending, with appropriate physical distancing and other safety measures remaining in place.

From 8 August wearing a face covering will become compulsory at certain indoor premises.  Everyone attending an indoor marriage or civil partnership service in a place of worship or wedding venue or Registration office will be required by law to wear a face covering. This also includes the couple to be married or entering into a civil partnership. children under the age of 5 are not required to wear a face covering.

Congratulations on your forthcoming ceremony. In West Dunbartonshire Council we want to make your day as special and memorable as possible.

Where do I start?

Decide where and when you want to be married. You may have a Registrar conduct your wedding at our office or at any location providing this has been agreed with the couple, the Registrar and the venue owner. We will take bookings for a Registrar to conduct your ceremony up to 2 years in advance of your wedding day. Please note, if you want a Registrar to perform your ceremony, you need to book this with us regardless of where your ceremony will take place.  You can find out more information on fees on the price list.

How do I book?

Please telephone or e-mail the Registration Office to make a booking. You will be asked to pay a non-refundable deposit. You may pay by credit/debit card.

What happens next?

When the non-refundable deposit is paid, we will send a letter confirming your booking, and a receipt for monies paid.

The next step

Around 3 months before your ceremony, we will post the Marriage Notice forms and explanatory Marriage in Scotland leaflet to you. We advise you to submit your completed forms, relevant documents and balance of fee payable to the registration office 8 - 10 weeks before the date of your ceremony.

Please note all Marriage documentation must be submitted to our Dumbarton office.

In the 2 weeks before your ceremony

The Registrar will contact you to arrange a meeting where you can discuss your ceremony, and finalise all legal requirements.

In an emergency out of hours please telephone our registration office on 01389 738350 our answering machine will give you the Registrar's mobile telephone number.

Civil Partnership to marriage conversion

As of 16 December 2014, couples can opt to convert their civil partnership to marriages using 1 of 2 routes.  Further information can be found on the Civil Partnership conversion guidance page.