Skip to content

Where do I start?

For all weddings, three months before your wedding date you need to contact the Registration office for the district where your marriage ceremony will take place. You will be provided with the Marriage Notice Form (M10) , the Marriage in Scotland leaflet and a Witness Details form

You must submit your notice papers and supporting documentation at least 29 days before your ceremony.  All paperwork for West Dunbartonshire needs to be submitted to our Dumbarton Office.

You can submit notice no more than 3 months before the date of your marriage, but ideally you should do this 8 - 10 weeks before.

Documents to be produced

Please note that the Registrar will require to see all ORIGINAL documents.

When giving or sending the marriage notice forms to the registrar, each of you must supply the following:

  • your birth certificate
  • your passport
  • proof of current/usual residence - Utility bill (not older than 3 months);  Bank/Building society statement (not older than 1 month);  Most recent Council Tax bill;  Valid UK Photo Driving Licence. 
  • a decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final-a decree nisi is not acceptable.
  • if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse.
  • if your domicile is abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry.
  • If you are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed.  Please contact the Registrar for advice as soon as you consider getting married in Scotland to allow you time to get all the documents you require.
  • If any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided.

The fee for submitting notice for a marriage conducted by anyone other than a registrar (e.g. Minister/Priest or Humanist) is £70.00. The fee must be paid at the same time as you submit your notice papers.