Where can I get advice and support if I am homeless or going to be homeless?


If you are homeless, or about to be, our Homeless and Homelessness Prevention Service provides free advice and information to people who are concerned about their housing situation.  It doesn't matter if you are one of our tenants, a tenant of a housing association, a tenant of a private let or a home owner as everyone is entitled to it. 

You can come into one of our offices for a confidential chat with one of our caseworkers.

They will:

  • Advise you on your situation and what your housing options are
  • Prevent homelessness occurring where possible
  • Help you find somewhere to live
  • Provide housing support if required
  • Make sure people know about the services and support we can provide
  • Make sure people access settled accommodation as quick as possible

Housing Support

If you feel you would benefit from additional support throughout your homeless journey. Please ask your caseworker to make a referral to our Housing Support Service. Who will aim to address issues surrounding tenancy sustainment and successful independent living.

All Housing Support workers are PVG members, and are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).

The aims of the Housing Support Service

  • To prevent homelessness through the provision of person-centred housing support
  • To support households during their stay in temporary accommodation, if required.
  • To assist households to settle into permanent accommodation
  • To minimise the incidences of repeat homelessness
  • To promote and assist successful independent living

Access to Housing Support Service

Access to the Service is available by phoning 01389 776403.

Your rights

When using WDC Housing Support Service you have a right to:

  • Be treated with respect at all times
  • Make decisions about the type of support that you want
  • Have your privacy and confidentiality respected
  • Have your cultural, racial and spiritual needs valued and respected
  • Complain if you are not getting the help and support that you need or if any of the above rights are being taken away

Your responsibilities

  • To meet with your Support Worker at the pre-arranged times
  • To treat Support workers with respect at all times

Your Support Worker

  • You will have a named support worker who will make sure that you are getting all the support that you require from WDC Housing Support Service, and will refer you to external support providers as appropriate.

The type of support that you can expect

  • Help with tenancy set up
  • Help with claiming benefits
  • Safety and Security
  • Assistance with developing budgeting, domestic and life skills
  • Assistance with developing social skills and expanding life choices
  • General wellbeing and emotional support
  • Advice, Liaison & Signposting
  • Housing Support Service Citizen Charter

Help to Rent West Dunbartonshire

Help to Rent West Dunbartonshire is the council’s updated private rented sector access scheme, sometimes referred to as a “rent deposit guarantee scheme”.  The purpose of the scheme is to assist in making the private rented sector a viable option for households across West Dunbartonshire.

The main role of Help to Rent West Dunbartonshire is to help a prospective private tenant with a deposit they may require.  This could be in the form of a guarantee or a physical deposit, depending on the circumstances of both the tenant and landlord. West Dunbartonshire Council Help to Rent is a flexible scheme taking into account an individual’s circumstances.

The service:

  • works with landlords and letting agents to provide access to quality, privately rented accommodation across West Dunbartonshire.
  • Provides either a written guarantee or cash deposit to landlords
  • The council guarantee the landlord a deposit should any damage, etc. occur to the property, while at the same time the tenant may pay the deposit up on a monthly basis.
  • Acceptance to the scheme for guarantees and cash deposits are subject to satisfactory tenancy references being obtained.

If you are in housing need and would like further information please contact the Housing Options and Homeless Team on 01389 776400 who will put you in touch with a duty caseworker. Alternatively you can email the team at HousingOptionsHomelessness@west-dunbarton.gov.uk. You can contact the team on the number above from 09:00am - 16:30pm Monday to Friday.

If you are a landlord and you have a property that you would like to let through the Help to Rent scheme you will find more information on the Help to Rent pages or you can contact your local Officer on 07747 532 987.