The Atlas Cottages were built in Atlas Street in 1904 for foremen employed at the Clydebank Shipyard, and take their name from John Brown & Co's Atlas Works in Sheffield. Around 1972, following the collapse of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, the housing stock formerly owned by the Clydebank Shipyard was offered for sale to the sitting tenants. Unsold properties were transferred to Clydebank District Council.
In the early 1980s, the Atlas Cottages were among the properties in the vicinity of the Clydebank Shipyard to be stone cleaned. This work was carried out by a Scottish Development Agency (SDA) Task Force as part of a general environmental improvement project.