On 31 March 1917, the Clydebank Co-operative Society opened a new Central Drapery and Furnishings warehouse in Chalmers Street. Designed in Renaissance style by the Glasgow architects, Stewart & Patterson, the four-storey red sandstone building comprised a central block and west wing, with a total frontage of 256 feet. When built, it was the largest business premises in Clydebank and towered above all other shops in the Burgh. An east wing was added later.
The official opening was held in winter weather conditions, and snow fell on 3,000 spectators as the procession of members and friends (headed by the Govan Salvation Army Band) arrived at the building.