The Clydebank Co-operative Society's new suite of shops at Fleming Avenue, opened in 1948. The shops were built to serve a new housing estate in the Whitecrook area, and sold a wide range of products.
By 1948 the Clydebank Co-op had come a long way from modest beginnings in 1881. It was the largest retailer in Clydebank, and had a strong presence in north-west Glasgow. The process of expansion had been helped by amalgamations with several neighbouring societies.
In addition to numerous retail branches, the CCS owned a boot making factory, a meat preparation factory with a modern refrigeration plant, and a creamery. The Society had also diversified into activities such as funeral undertaking and car hiring, and employed tradesman such as painters, plumbers and electricians.