Alexander Street was the site of the Clydebank Co-operative Society's first purpose-built shop. A loan of £2,000 from the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society helped towards the total cost of £3,500, with the rest of the money coming from the membership. The brand new building, consisting of two shops and fifteen houses, opened on 26 May 1887. One of the new shops was originally devoted to drapery and hardware, and the other was a butcher's shop.
Further expansion took place over the years. A boot and shoe shop was opened in 1893, with a repair shop at the back. The rest of the street frontage was converted into shops in 1903. Further along Alexander Street, a large drapery warehouse was opened in 1917 and was extended by the addition of a new boot department and a mantle salon in 1940.