Click on a letter of the alphabet for specific place names beginning with that letter:
Now an area of Clydebank, Kilbowie was once a farm. In the old seventeenth century Blaeu/Pont map, it is spelt Coulbuy. This suggests that in this case it would be wrong to think that 'Kil' had its usual meaning of 'church'. It seems to be a corruption of Gaelic cul, meaning 'back slope of hill'. Buidhe (pronounced boo-eh) is the Gaelic for 'yellow'/'yellow-ish', and so 'Kilbowie' means 'yellowish hill back slope'. The pronunciation kill bough [as in tree]-eh is a comparatively modern development.
Kilbowie Road, in Clydebank, is a main thoroughfare running north/south through the town on a route that includes the slope that is signified in the name.
Kilpatrick was one of the original medieval parishes, and a fairly large one, with its parish kirk situated more or less where the present building with attached burial ground stands today in the village of Old Kilpatrick. The place name suggests that there was some strong connection with St Patrick (as had a number of places in Scotland), commemorated in the dedication of the church. The name is made up of Gaelic cill (="church" or "monk's cell"), and the name of the saint, Patrick.
In 1649, the large parish was divided into West Kilpatrick, later called Old Kilpatrick, and East Kilpatrick, later called New Kilpatrick.