Speak to your Housing Officer

If you are considering leaving your home please contact your Housing Officer to discuss.  It may be that they can offer assistance and guidance to help you remain in your home. 

Your tenancy can come to an end in any of the following ways:

  • Giving West Dunbartonshire Council, Housing Operations Team 28 days notice by using the online Notice of Termination of Tenancy Form
  • Giving West Dunbartonshire Council, Housing Operations Team 28 days notice in writing
  • By a Court Order to evict you
  • By Abandoned House Procedure if you move out of the home without telling us
  • In the event of your death
  • By your tenancy being converted to a Short Scottish Secure Tenancy.

If you want more information, please read your tenancy agreement or contact your Housing Officer.

Things to do before you leave:

  1. Contact your Housing Officer to make sure that your rent payments are up-to-date.  If you have fallen behind with your rent you should clear your debt or make an arrangement to pay.  If you don't, you may have difficulty when applying to be re-housed
  2. Allow access to a Housing Officer to carry out an inspection of the property
  3. Arrange for your mail to be sent on to your new address. You can get a mail redirection form from your local post office;
  4. Provide meter readings to your gas and electricity supplier and retain a copy for your records
  5. Arrange to have your phone, tv and internet disconnected;
  6. Contact our Council Tax staff to give them your new address;
  7. Make sure that you clear out your home and leave it clean and tidy
  8. Arrange to have any bulk items or rubbish removed from gardens/communal areas
  9. Ensure all wheelie bins/household waste/garden are uncontaminated and ready for collection
  10. All sets of keys must be returned to your local housing office, before 10.00 am on the last day of your tenancy. If you don't you may be charged additional weekly rent until the keys are returned to us.

The council will recharge you if we need to remove any unauthorised alterations. We will also recharge you if we need to remove:

  • goods
  • equipment
  • carpets or other floor coverings
  • rubbish
  • including garden debris from the property, including loft and outbuildings.
  • You will also be recharged for any bin bags left behind when we arrive to work on the property for the next tenant.

Contact us