Apply for a Mutual Exchange

Who can apply for a Mutual Exchange?

A mutual exchange can take place between any Council or Housing Association tenant from anywhere in the United Kingdom. 

Reasons we could refuse the application

We will not refuse an application unless it is reasonable to do so.  Examples of when the application could be refused include:

  • Failure by the tenant to adhere to existing tenancy terms, for example serious anti-social behaviour and the behaviour is likely to continue should the exchange proceed
  • Having rent arrears, or any other housing debt, where there is no arrangement in place to repay the debt
  • The condition of the property is unacceptable
  • Failure by all joint tenants to apply for an exchange
  • Where the spouse has not consented to the exchange
  • The mutual exchange would result in overcrowding as outlined in West Dunbartonshire Council’s allocation policy
  • The house has been designed or adapted for a person whose special needs require such accommodation
  • The property is a tied house, that has been provided by the landlord for employment purposes
  • The property is not suitable to the needs of the tenant(s) and the tenant(s) family

The above list is not a definitive list and other reasons may exist for refusing exchange applications.

HomeSwapper - The New Way to Exchange your Property

If you are a tenant with the Council or any of the local Housing Associations in West Dunbartonshire you can register with HomeSwapper to exchange your property.

HomeSwapper is an online service that will hold details of mutual exchanges available within West Dunbartonshire Council and elsewhere.

West Dunbartonshire Council have funded this service to enable our tenants to register free of charge. You can register via the internet at

Once you have found a match with another household please complete this form (both parties must complete this form individually): Apply for a mutual exchange.  Once your application has been received we will assess this, and a decision will be made within 28 days. 

To discuss any aspect of your mutual exchange please contact your Housing Officer.